ScubaPro MK10 leaking air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a good time to start down the DIY service it yourself path. That's a great regulator to work on at home. Tools and most parts are easily available. A cheap Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner is very helpful. You'll always know how your regulator has been maintained. Win, win, win.

Pretty sure diving it with the valve closed could result in water intrusion into the 1st stage. If that is the case it should be rebuilt as it could have debris, damage etc. I'm not 100% on that but I do remember reading that somewhere.

Can anyone else confirm this one?

Mk 10 is very reliable.
My buddy seldom has it serviced over several yrs of use.
BTW, should always pressurize the reg before dropping into water and periodically check the pressure if there is a spg otherwise repressurize it after 10 mins or so.
Luckily your were diving in fresh water.

Not sure I'm following you on this one. Please elaborate further.

Perhaps my reasoning is flawed, but it is a slung pony, within easy reach of turning the valve, should the gas be needed by me or someone else. In addition I have an OCTO on my main tank should the situation require immediate donation.

The last thing I want during a dive is to be farting around with a potential free flowing pony regulator, which has happened.

Yes I can.
Especially on deco bottles.
If I do not pressurized the tank before jump into water. Sooner or later when I switch on the deco tank there will be a gush of gas coming out from the tank valve! Time to service the 1st stage later! For whatever reason the 1st stage got loosen from the tank if it is not pressurized. The initial impact on entering to water is good enough to loosen the hand tighten 1st stage from the tank.
Very important for tec divers not to loose any of their precious deco mixes.
Equally important for your bail out slung bottle.

I hope I have explained it clearly.
Always pressurized the tank you are carried in diving. How difficult it is to turn the valve on and then immediately shut it after every 10-15 mins?

like many have said, seat itself or a seat carrier o-ring issue.

As to diving a pony, charged and ready....

like many have said, seat itself or a seat carrier o-ring issue.

As to diving a pony, charged and ready....

I'm assuming James Mott is more than capable of servicing..............He did the original service.

My understanding is that because the first stage has an air space, the air in that space wants to compress as you descend, and water can be forced past the piston or tank valve o-rings allowing salt to enter that might cause corrosion. Water getting into the first stage is why people recommend soaking a regulator pressurized on a tank when cleaning.

On my pony, I pressurize the regulator for the descent and then turn it off. That's just me but I do it to prevent any possibility of water entering the first stage and prevent an accidental free flow. If I bump the pony's second under water, I'll re pressurize the system. Sometimes I just occasionally turn it on every few mins...if I remember.

On my pony, I pressurize the regulator for the descent and then turn it off. That's just me but I do it to prevent any possibility of water entering the first stage and prevent an accidental free flow. If I bump the pony's second under water, I'll re pressurize the system. Sometimes I just occasionally turn it on every few mins...if I remember.

That is how I will handle in the future. I never thought about this aspect prior to this thread, so good to learn stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom