ScubaPro MK10 leaking air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I would show that to the shop where it was serviced, that is not a natural occurence. They owe you an apology and should fix it for free. And to think the red crush ring was supposed to be more foolproof!

Nothing is foolproof to a more talented fool! :D

I would take this event as a sign from the scuba gods that it's time to start servicing his own regulator. It's the best scuba related decision I ever made.

I did the exactly the same when I felt I was being seriously let down by someone I trusted and PAID for the work.
No regret whatsoever.

I have that same question Ghost95.

I like the self service recommendation, however, I still have my hands full with diving and I think I'll focus on that for a while longer.

Now my question is...could leaving the regulator unpressurized at depth cause that o-ring to be extruded to that space? Usually that seal would have pressure pushing out on it to keep it sealed. Just curious.

Glad you found the problem.
Good question but I can’t see that happening. More likely the crush seal was not totally pushed down/seated in that spot, that section of the seal got pushed into the middle as the cap was installed, there is seems to have been in the way of the piston a bit as there is evidence of shredding. Once the piston tore up the seal a bit it started leaking.

Now my question is...could leaving the regulator unpressurized at depth cause that o-ring to be extruded to that space? Usually that seal would have pressure pushing out on it to keep it sealed. Just curious.

Glad you found the problem.

No, it was the HP air that extruded it. I've seen a similar type of failure with an o-ring in that spot that wasn't seated properly. There is also another o-ring that prevents water intrusion into the seat retainer threads, so water couldn't get in there regardless of whether the reg was pressurized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom