Scubapro mark V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken,

They placed order today so you should be good to place your order.

David

I was speaking with Scubatools.com and they mentioned that they would be carrying it in a few more weeks which should make it next week, Feb 9. perhaps you can help to push the deal so I can hurry and place an order. I'm waiting on this so I can place one order with about 10 items, including Tribolube.

Ken

I have two SB Mk-5's with R109 2nd stages (2 port swivels).
Mine are O2 cleaned and are still in use as stage regs, on 50% and 100% O2.

I use crytox lube ( a dupont product similar to crysto-lube).

regards

Mike D

Mike,

We are curious. What Krytox do you use, and what made you choose it over other
products available?

I have two SB Mk-5's with R109 2nd stages (2 port swivels).
Mine are O2 cleaned and are still in use as stage regs, on 50% and 100% O2.

I use crytox lube ( a dupont product similar to crysto-lube).

regards

Mike D

Mike,

We are curious. What Krytox do you use, and what made you choose it over other
products available?

David,

I can't speak for Mike, but I used Krytox because it was available at one of the places I used to work. :wink: So I'd take a small baggie home every now and then. I do not remember which formula it was, but because it is good for LOX and GOX I figured it would be fine for anything I'd come across when DIY a scuba regulator.

couv

hi-putting a mark v back into service is wonderful-fantastic reg- just check the yoke screw if it has a 9/16 thread metal yoke is good for 3000psi tank- the smaller thread 3/8 and 7/16 metal yoke is for 2475 psi cylinders ONLY-the yoke and screw can be upgraded if you have the 2475 psi yoke

Hi All,

I had to take care of a family funeral so my mind has not been into diving.... I think I need one.

Another thread but has anyone considered ashes in the sea?

Anyway, as soon as I get my mind back into hobby mode, I'll turn on my questions again.

Ken

Hi all,

I guess I got lucky. My step father used to dive in the late 1970's and early 1908's. He bought a Mark 5 and R109 back then. He kept it and when I started diving a couple of years ago gave it to me. He still had the warranty card for it. The first shop I took it into was not a ScubaPro shop and they said they couldn't service it. The other shop in town is and they serviced it for me but the first service cost me about 120 bucks. I have since got to know the owner of the ScubaPro shop and he now considers the reg under warranty so I get free parts. The annual service now costs me about 40 bucks. I will post pictures of the reg and the serial number once I get it back from the shop, as it's in for service at the moment. My question is how hard is it to change the R109 over to the R156? And can I put a swivel hose on it? Also is it worth it? I love this reg and will continue to dive it as long as I can get it serviced.

My question is how hard is it to change the R109 over to the R156? And can I put a swivel hose on it? Also is it worth it? I love this reg and will continue to dive it as long as I can get it serviced.

It is quite easy to make the change. Remove the duro poppet w/seat, the spring, and the spring pad (don't throw then away) and install the s-wing poppet w/seat, a lighter spring, and the balance chamber. Is it worth it? The parts cost (retail) is about $20. It should breath a bit easier but the difference may be hard to notice. I usually use a 156 as a primary and keep my 109s unbalanced and use them as alternates or as the primary when I dive in river currents.

I service my own regs. It cost me about $6, in parts, to service my 156. My 109 is under $1.

There are pros and cons.

An R109 with the most recent poppet uses the same seat as the R190/R390 generic seat and it can be flipped if one side develops an excessive groove. So the parts are cheap and give you twice the mileage, and being more or less generic can be obtained lots of places other than Scubapro.

On the other hand, the R156 uses a lot less spring pressure so there is less engraving of the seat anyway. The seat itself is also replaceable and costs only $1.00 but is not a generic part and you have to get it from Scubapro.

So if you do your own servicing and have limtied access to parts, stay with the R109.

Both can breathe equally well, if properly tuned and if used on a balanced second stage. The R156 is more tolerant of changes in IP and both the Mk 5 and Mk 10, although balanced, are not perfectly balanced and IP will vary 4-6 psi as tank pressure drops from 3300 to 300 psi so in some cases, some divers may notice the performance difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom