Scubapro Ladyhawk for Guy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your response!

In your opinion would the higher cummerbund or other slight differences inhibit comfort for a man?
Possibly, but I wouldn’t say it would be a huge problem. My first BC had the cummerbund a bit higher than my Stiletto. The Stiletto is definitely more comfortable.

As long as it’s not across your ribs, it should be fine. I don’t believe lowering it to where it would normally be, by lengthening the shoulder straps, would be a good option. That would end up lowering the weight pockets, so it could affect trim.

My wife has a Cressi travel-style BCD (no rigid part, very light), which I often use without problems. Conversely she often uses my plastic backplate+wing. We did never find a significant difference in devices for males or females, regarding a BCD.
It is just matter on how much they embrace the upper part of your chest: both my wife's BCD and my BP+WING do not embrace it at all, so they are both "unisex".
Said that, the Ladyhawk is also a BCD which does not embrace your chest, I love this, and so I suppose you will be happy with it.
Regarding the Air-2: it is a nice additional device to have, which can save your butt in some situation. I would keep it. However, it does NOT replace a second regulator (with properly long hose), which is mandatory in many situations.
Furthermore, I warn you against a cheap, low performances octopus.
For me the primary and secondary regulators should always be identical and with very good performances. In the rare case you or your buddy need to use the secondary one, both of your are already in trouble, and so you want to get a reg which works great, not "so-so".
Said that, also evaluate to have a COMPLETE secondary reg (as both I, my wife and our two sons have). So two first stages and two second stages. When doing serious dives, usually you will rent (or own) a tank much bigger than a crap AL80, equipped with two independent valves and posts, usually with DIN connection, and possibly manifolded or truly independent (a back mounted twin tank or two separate side-mounted tanks).
In all these cases you must have two first stages. In cases you only get tanks equipped which a single valve (which I find a bit unsafe, but is some places tanks with doubles valves are difficult to find), then you will mount the secondary second stage on the same first stage as the primary one. It takes less than one minute to detach the hose from one and to attach it to the other. This of course is feasible ONLY with DIN mount, a single first stage with yoke mount is very easy to fail, because with a yoke mount the O-ring is exposed and can break easily, also during the dive.
So, try this setup with the Air2, and if it fits your body, go for it, not caring that usually it is sold to female divers. But do not rely on just the Air2 as your secondary air source, you need a true regulator, possibly identical to the main one, and possibly with his own first stage.

Regarding the Air-2: it is a nice additional device to have, which can save your butt in some situation. I would keep it. However, it does NOT replace a second regulator (with properly long hose), which is mandatory in many situations.

My concern is that it's one more regulator to have to pay to get serviced annually. It seems like a waste of money if I have a higher quality octo on me.

In addition, my lds has said they see more cases of stuck buttons on breathable inflators than standard ones.

I am thinking I will go back and see if I can try it on with a wet suit to make sure it still fits. If it does, I will probably buy it. I looked at what they've sold for on ebay and the lowest they've gone for is $125 with many going for $200-300 used. I figure worse case, even if I don't like it after using it, I can resell it for what I spent on it. Maybe even a little more with it having the air 2.

You might not have issues at all. We got a Sherwood BC for my wife on a good sale. Its also a back inflate. Which is a good advantage for this case. I since sold my BCD and use my wife’s BCD for travelling. The BCD straps are designed a but differently to accommodate a width of the chest area but thats not really noticeable as I just adjust the straps. Just try it and if it fits it shouldn’t be a problem

Sometimes a women’s fit on some BCDs use a smaller shoulder strap setup for the same equivalent men’s waist setup.

What size do you need? I have an AquaLung/SeaQuest Balance back inflate in nearly new condition that I would sell for $100. Size medium. A bit snug on me at 200 pounds. It has ditchable weight pockets and trim weight pockets, normal inflator.
Do you still have the Aqualung Balance? If Snakekid97 can’t use it I may be interested.

Sorry guys. When I told my wife I might be selling the Balance, she said she was planning to try it. Since I switched to BP/W she is thinking she may not like her jacket BCD so much any more.

Sorry guys. When I told my wife I might be selling the Balance, she said she was planning to try it. Since I switched to BP/W she is thinking she may not like her jacket BCD so much any more.
Thanks for your reply.

Yea, I have a Dive Rite bp/w that I’ve used since the ‘90s … but, doing no cave or tech diving these days - so I thought I was looking for a hybrid(ish) BCD for the rec diving here in the Keys.

Just as well you’re hanging on to your Balance. That will give me a little longer to ponder the Scubapro: Litehawk, Knighthawk, Seahawk back inflator BCDs.

Dived (or is that dove) my old Tusa Liberator jacket the other day. Great on the surface more cumbersome underwater than my bp/w…

Safe diving, -Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom