Scubapro Ladyhawk for Guy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snakekid97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I've just began diving within the last 6 months or so and have been keeping an eye out for affordable equipment. I found a brand new (but older model) large scubapro ladyhawk woman's bcd with the air 2 integration hose for only $120.

I like that it's back inflate (I got to use this style on a dive trip and preferred it over the jacket styles I've used) and has integrated weights. The only "down" side is I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the air 2 inflator. I think I'd prefer to have a traditional octo. Although, I may be able to find someone willing to swap me out for a standard scubapro inflator.

Anyways, my question is what classifies it as a woman's bcd? Do they have a different dimension? It seemed to fit well, but I only tried it on for about 5 second, because they were getting ready to close. Are there any potential issues I should look out for, or is the "womans" and "mens" labels just a marketing tactic? Are there any men on here who have used the bcd?

$120 seems like a steal for a new bcd if it fits right.

Thanks!

If you read the description on ScubaPro’s website, it says it’s designed and sized specifically for women divers and gives some specifics. As a gal, I can tell you that trying to fit into gear made for men doesn’t often work. I’d expect the reverse is true. You need to try it on for more than five seconds.

If you read the description on ScubaPro’s website, it says it’s designed and sized specifically for women divers and gives some specifics. As a gal, I can tell you that trying to fit into gear made for men doesn’t often work. I’d expect the reverse is true. You need to try it on for more than five seconds.
I read the website description and it stated:

"Designed and sized specifically for female divers, strategically placed padding, a narrow neck yoke, an adjustable cummerbund and rotating shoulder buckles all work together to guarantee a comfortable and snug fit."

It just seems rather vague to me. All bcds I've seen have an adjustable cummerbund and many have rotating buckles. It says "strategically placed padding", but the padding seemed pretty standard to me. That's why I ask if it's just a marketing tactic.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with this bcd to attest to if there are actual differences in dimensions, or if they just mark it own a size (i.e. a males medium is a female large) and relabel from knighthawk to ladyhawk and call it female.

What size do you need? I have an AquaLung/SeaQuest Balance back inflate in nearly new condition that I would sell for $100. Size medium. A bit snug on me at 200 pounds. It has ditchable weight pockets and trim weight pockets, normal inflator.

I can’t guarantee that the Ladyhawk isn’t just labeling, but I suspect it’s not.

I’ve got three divers at my house. Myself and two daughters. Youngest uses a Zeagle Zena, which is quite different from any BC designed for males.

My oldest daughter uses a Zeagle Lazer. This was marketed as the female version of the Stiletto. I use a Stiletto. They are very similar, but there are differences. The biggest one I noticed is the positioning of the cummerbund. Compared with my Stiletto, the Lazer cummerbund is mounted higher on the BC. Presumably to fasten above the hips.

What size do you need? I have an AquaLung/SeaQuest Balance back inflate in nearly new condition that I would sell for $100. Size medium. A bit snug on me at 200 pounds. It has ditchable weight pockets and trim weight pockets, normal inflator.
With the jacket style aqualung I usually rent at the shop (forget the exact model) I can use a M or ML. I'll look into it and shoot you a message.

I can’t guarantee that the Ladyhawk isn’t just labeling, but I suspect it’s not.

I’ve got three divers at my house. Myself and two daughters. Youngest uses a Zeagle Zena, which is quite different from any BC designed for males.

My oldest daughter uses a Zeagle Lazer. This was marketed as the female version of the Stiletto. I use a Stiletto. They are very similar, but there are differences. The biggest one I noticed is the positioning of the cummerbund. Compared with my Stiletto, the Lazer cummerbund is mounted higher on the BC. Presumably to fasten above the hips.
Thanks for your response!

In your opinion would the higher cummerbund or other slight differences inhibit comfort for a man?

If it fits and it works go for it.

You can always change the Air2 out for a normal LP inflator system.

Back
Top Bottom