Scubapro Knighthawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greyface once bubbled...
I've owned one for about a year, now, and love it. I don't understand the bulkiness comment. It's an awesome bc. Very comfortable. If I were to change anything, It would be bigger pockets, and a coupla more d-rings. ScubaPro has the best tank strap/buckle in the business, rock solid. Not knocking BP/wings, or Rangers, I'm just a SP fan.:D

And the weight system is great.

and its for sale, if you want it :)

As a conventional BC its very nice. I'll go down the "pros and cons" list for you:

PROS:

Weight integration that actually works. Fastex clips keep the pouches from dropping out. The tank strap is very nice and holds the tank securely. Back trim pockets work well and give you non-ditchable weight to balance the back inflation.

Fairly secure. For a conventional BC its very nice in that area as well. It stays on your body and doesn't move around much.

Back inflate. You either love or hate this, but if you love it, this is a good product for it.

Lots of dumps. Both shoulders (one on the inflator hose, and another one on the other side) and one down low. You can dump in nearly any body position, and the dumps have handles on them that are easy to find and grasp.

CONS:

The WI keeps you from seeing what is clipped off on the D-rings under the weight pockets. This means that you need to know what is there. It is not a serious problem, but it does obstruct vision down your body somewhat.

I went to a BP+Wing, and don't dive it any more. Mine has about 20 dives on it and has been hanging in my closet for the last six months or so, and is a M/L size.

As a "regular" BC its tough to argue with; if I did not find and decide I preferred the backplate I'd still be diving it.

PM me if you have an interest.

One of my friends use one and he is happy with it. he recommended it to me.:doctor:

Kemo Racer once bubbled...
What you guys think of this BC. http://www.scubapro.com/products/bcs/knighthawk/knighthawk.asp

i've been diving the Knighthawk for a about 2 months now and have made somewhere near 30 dives on it in that amount of time (it has quite a few pool hours too.) It's a very good BCD that is EXTREMELY stable both at depth and at the surface but that is with the integrated weights. If you plan on using the weight belt I would steer you away from it.

I am not a tech diver but from what I understand, despite it's rear air cell, it's not a BC for tech diving.

I, too, have this BC and am very pleased with it. I bought back in Feb of this year and have 6 dives on it so far. I use the integrated weights instead of a separate weight belt (it's so much more comfortable!) If you have any particular questions, you should post those so that they can be addressed.

Tom

The nighthawk is extemely comfortable in the water and will float you upright even when fully inflated. The lift is a little on the light side in the small and medium sizes and despite the fashionable D-rings and back inflation it really is not a tech BC.

The only negative comment I have is that the quick release buckles on the shoulder straps are too high and are hard to reach in a 7mm wet suit or a dry suit.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
The nighthawk is extemely comfortable in the water and will float you upright even when fully inflated. The lift is a little on the light side in the small and medium sizes and despite the fashionable D-rings and back inflation it really is not a tech BC.

The only negative comment I have is that the quick release buckles on the shoulder straps are too high and are hard to reach in a 7mm wet suit or a dry suit.

Lift on the light side? I wear a medium and it has 46# that is WAAAAY more than I need. Of course I wear a 5mm suit and use a AL80s and AL63s

Well I don't think your gonna need 46lbs of lift in a rec bc anyway. I've had one for a year and a half, have dove it in a 7/5 mil wetsuit along with a trilam drysuit and have had no problems reaching anything. It's a great bc, the integrated weights are nice for keeping it off your hips. I'm changing directions in my diving right now and have switched to a bp/wings with 36lbs of lift. I have no problem with this as I never fully inflated the knighthawk anyway. As far as floating you upright the trick is to lean back on the bc and put yourself more into a supine position. That or tread to keep upright. Trust me in a drysuit with an al80 your going face down. Nice bc though have loved mine, just not a tec oriented bc despite the flashy hardware.

Murph

forgot to mention that the weight pockets are a bit small to accomodate the weight needed for cold water diving. They are adequate but barely. I find a lot of manufacturers consider cold water to be something like 70 degrees and that many items of equipment are minimally adequate for really cold water and the exposure equipment required in that water.

Just a personal observation, and I'm not saying that it isn't still a great BC for 90% of the rec divers out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom