Scubapro Jetfins vs Apeks RK3 HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok that's what i want to hear lol.... i may need to try it. very few RK3s being used here.
They are also stiffer than the standard rk3. I have very heavy feet and just can't use the key fins unless I want to be completely vertical. The rk3 hd let me stay in trim and give me good propulsion, work well in frog and helicopter turns and allow me to at least attempt a back kick which I suck at

They are also stiffer than the standard rk3. I have very heavy feet and just can't use the key fins unless I want to be completely vertical. The rk3 hd let me stay in trim and give me good propulsion, work well in frog and helicopter turns and allow me to at least attempt a back kick which I suck at

ok im gona get one lol. as long as it's still negative in sea water it should be fine.. i have a seawing nova which is claimed to be neutral.. but feels positive.

They fit to standard luggage, and they don't weight so much. I travel with them all over the world.

Agree.

XTs are my go to wetsuit fin regardless of location. They are not that heavy in the scheme of things. They fit in my moderately sized suitcase. I've tried all sorts of "travel" fins but found them all to be a compromise.

I used to have a complete travel dedicated set, sold it all and now just use my usual local gear. I leave other stuff at home if I need to save weight. If I'm going on a diving trip I want my best, most familiar gear. YMMV. Cheers.

I was issued RK3s at work because no one liked my bright yellow jetfins. I cannot overstate how much I dislike them. They are way too soft for me. If I have to use something other than jets (free-diving not included) I will wear OMS Slipstreams - lighter and more buoyant than jets and actually a little stiffer.

YMMV

i
I was issued RK3s at work because no one liked my bright yellow jetfins. I cannot overstate how much I dislike them. They are way too soft for me. If I have to use something other than jets (free-diving not included) I will wear OMS Slipstreams - lighter and more buoyant than jets and actually a little stiffer.

YMMV

actually bought the oms slipstream. so its stiffer than the jets? i would agree that the footpocket feels great. havent dived yet though bec of covid

YMMV
That’s regular RK3’s, not the HD correct?

Hi,

After many years using SP jetfins with a drysuit, I had to switch to a more buoyant option since most of my dives involved warm/tropical saltwater with a wetsuit, and the jets turned out to be too heavy. In a SS BP/W setup with a 5mm wetsuit, I've tried the following:
- Poseidon trident: very similar to SP jets = dropped like stones underwater but still great fins
- Hollis F1: similar to SP jets (haven't tried their LT version - people told me it was lighter, but not by much) and too negative for me
- Apeks RK3: at first I was pretty pleased with those. They felt a little floaty and floppy (these are neutrally buoyant in saltwater - ever slightly sinking) but I didn't have to compensate for my trim any longer. Then the first time I hit some serious current I realized the stiffness was a real issue. No matter how hard I kicked I simply couldn't move forward. I still occasionally use them when I'm sure current won't be an issue.
- RK3 HD: some of my mates suggested the HD version and I gave it a go. Stiffer and slightly negative, but in my humble opinion still floppy. I'd say the HD are a lot closer to standard RK3 than they are to SP jetfins in terms of stiffness and buoyancy. It definitely was an improvement over the the standard RK3, and I found the fins' performance to be acceptable in current.
- Dive Rite XT: Around the same time I got the HD, a friend of mine gave me his XTs for a spin. The longer size turned me off at first, but I was sold after a few dives. Slightly negative but feel much stiffer than RK3 HDs (perhaps the extra length helps on that front?), perform superbly in current, and despite the longer blade, I was pleasantly surprised by their maneuverability - frog, mod flutter, back kick, helicopter turns all smooth. These have now become my personal favorite, unless I'm cavern diving or entering an extremely claustrophobic wreck with no massive current (RK3 for those rare dives). I don't do deep caves yet.
- In sidemount (I'm new to SM so don't take my word for it), I still found the XTs to be the best compromise for trim & propulsion.
- I've heard very good things about the OMS slipstreams and Xdeep EX1 medium as well.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom