Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this the only problem with the Hydros?

there's two similar problems in this thread. But, there's thousands of these things in the market and some with >1000 dives on them that have not had these issues.

It's also unclear, that the repair above is now standard or not. Looking at new ones in the shop the other day there didn't have any change to what my one a year back has (which is similar to the pre-altered one pic'd).

I have another 30 or so dives on mine since my last post, and still no problem. I also seem to have the plastic "crossbar" from the picture of the SP modified straps that softgrapes posted in May, so I obviously got a unit that had already been manufactured subject to the SP modification.

Here's another example of a busted strap hinge that occured on my Hydros. I've had this BC for 11 months and used it for about 80+ dives as an instructor and dive vacations. It failed while on an open water checkout dive with students. It has a fabric strap to reinforce the monprene hinge so it did not totally separate. This is the first occurrence for me. But not a good example for a product to exhibit with SCUBA students asking what dive gear to consider purchasing. Once repaired, I'll retire this BC as I don't want it to fail during instruction or while I'm on the other side of the planet on a dive vacation.
I'll put my Litehawk and Equator back in use. I can almost buy two Litehawks or Equator BC's for the price of 1 Hydros.

upload_2018-7-11_22-46-15.png

Should I look for a deep discount on a Hydros Pro from LDS assuming I decide to risk it? It sounds like it dives well and would round out my gear to all be Scubapro, which is a qualifier for regulator service coverage.

I could use the drop in weight use that this BC allows. And the freedom of movement that it's design facilitates.

I recently noticed my straps are coming apart... Year old, about 100 dives.

Called the shop I purchased from, they are getting replacement from ScubaPro.

Attachments

• 20180722_195456.jpg
    20180722_195456.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 712
  • 20180722_195543.jpg
    20180722_195543.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 631
Sorry for a possible double post. I have done now about 36 dives in the Hydros that I bought last year. I am experiencing severe buoyancy/trimming problems. The BCD always forces me to lean strongly left or right when inflated. When I wiggle my shoulders a couple of times the air spreads with a really loud gurgle - only for the problem to return soon.
On my last trip there was another diver who also used the Hydros. Bascially he had the same stats as me (weights, wetsuit thickness, tank, etc. ) and he had no such issue. At all.
I have close to 500 dives and never had such issues with another BCD. Right now I think I will bring it back to the diveshop where I bought it and have it checked.

Did anyone have a similiar issue ? Opinions ? Thanks !

I seldom have ANY air in the bladder when underwater. Sounds like you may have a weighting issue rather than a wing issue. Are you using the trim pockets?

Thanks for the quick reply, tridacna.

I know I was overweighted by about 2 kgs (6 kg weights plus steel 15, new 5mm wetsuit) in the Red Sea. This was done on purpose due to strong surface currents and the need for quick negative entries. I did not have any weight in the trim pockets.

Still, shouldn`t the BC be able to deliver a balanced trim even then ?

And as I said the other diver with a Hydros had the exact same stats as me and no problem at all...

Last edited:
When I first dived mine, I had the exact same problem that you had. I was diving with a steel 15L and 7mm suit. Tank always felt like it was pulling me to the left or right. I added a weight belt, reduced overall weight and have 2kgs in each trim pocket. 400 dives later and never had the problem again. Never ever had the problem in warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom