Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taro Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I have about 6 dives on my Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD. When washing it yesterday I noticed that one of the Monoprene attachment holes had ripped through. It is the attachment hole on the monoprene plate attached to the waistband. The screw that goes into this hole attaches the weight pockets to the waistband.

I have attached 2 photos.

Can monoprene be repaired with some kind of glue? Does the warranty cover this? Anyone else experience anything like this?

IMG_7586.JPG IMG_7585.JPG

I only have about 12 dives on mine. No such problem. Not sure how that could happen. Did something pull excessively hard on it? Did you travel with it? I'm thinking it may have been packed and something pulled on that area. Otherwise no clue what could have happened. Take it back to your LDS. Looks like it should be a warranty item.

I have 60 dives on mine. The monoprene shoulder straps have ripped at the shoulder pin...twice. I am waiting on the LDS to get the parts to replace them again. They were replace by Scubapro the first time. Scubapro stated that the BCD should never be picked up by the shoulder straps and always use the handle molded into the backplate. I used to hang the BCD up on a BCD hanger, but the straps do not seem to be able to hold the wait of the empty BCD without tearing the Monoprene where it attaches to the hinge pin.

Overall, I am finding the Hydros Pro a very fragile BCD.

I have 60 dives on mine. The monoprene shoulder straps have ripped at the shoulder pin...twice. I am waiting on the LDS to get the parts to replace them again. They were replace by Scubapro the first time. Scubapro stated that the BCD should never be picked up by the shoulder straps and always use the handle molded into the backplate. I used to hang the BCD up on a BCD hanger, but the straps do not seem to be able to hold the wait of the empty BCD without tearing the Monoprene where it attaches to the hinge pin.

Overall, I am finding the Hydros Pro a very fragile BCD.

FYI, Scubapro has modified the shoulder straps in the newer production runs due to these type of issues. You might check with your LDS and see if yours can be replaced with the thicker/reinforced ones.

Scubapro stated that the BCD should never be picked up by the shoulder straps and always use the handle molded into the backplate.

That is crazy!! When I am trying to put on my bcd with a 15 litre steel tank on it... the only way to do it is by lifting it onto one shoulder first by the shoulder strap!! I cant use the handle.

FYI, Scubapro has modified the shoulder straps in the newer production runs due to these type of issues. You might check with your LDS and see if yours can be replaced with the thicker/reinforced ones.

These are the newer shoulder straps and they were already replaced once by ScubaPro when they were seeing the problems in the first deliveries. Our LDS had two BCDs that had to be returned because of this issue. ScubaPro now is telling the LDS that the BCD should not be lifted by the shoulder straps. They are supposed to be sending the straps so that the repair can be done locally.

These are the newer shoulder straps and they were already replaced once by ScubaPro when they were seeing the problems in the first deliveries. Our LDS had two BCDs that had to be returned because of this issue. ScubaPro now is telling the LDS that the BCD should not be lifted by the shoulder straps. They are supposed to be sending the straps so that the repair can be done locally.

That's unfortunate. I haven't heard of a lot of shoulder strap failures, but the one's I have heard of were hopeful that the modified design would fix the issue. Not hanging an empty BCD on hanger is crazy, I can't imagine it would be enough weight to cause an issue, have you noticed a problem or just an abundance of caution?

That's unfortunate. I haven't heard of a lot of shoulder strap failures, but the one's I have heard of were hopeful that the modified design would fix the issue. Not hanging an empty BCD on hanger is crazy, I can't imagine it would be enough weight to cause an issue, have you noticed a problem or just an abundance of caution?
I would say the not hanging the BCD on a hanger is an abundance of caution. If I am being told not to pickup the empty BCD by the shoulder straps, then having it on a hanger can't be good for it either. ScubaPro replaced the shoulder straps initially last year around November...this was the "known" issue that also caused a delay in shipments. When we reported this problem again less than a year later, the response was that the BCD is designed to be picked up by the molded handle, not the shoulder straps.

I had a piece on the LPI come unscrewed and fall out last weekend that resulted in the inability to orally inflate...not related, but just compounds my disappointment with this BCD. Two issues with the Hydros Pro that I have never seen with an other BCD that I have owned over the years.

I would say the not hanging the BCD on a hanger is an abundance of caution. If I am being told not to pickup the empty BCD by the shoulder straps, then having it on a hanger can't be good for it either. ScubaPro replaced the shoulder straps initially last year around November...this was the "known" issue that also caused a delay in shipments. When we reported this problem again less than a year later, the response was that the BCD is designed to be picked up by the molded handle, not the shoulder straps.

I had a piece on the LPI come unscrewed and fall out last weekend that resulted in the inability to orally inflate...not related, but just compounds my disappointment with this BCD. Two issues with the Hydros Pro that I have never seen with an other BCD that I have owned over the years.

Wow, sorry to hear of your troubles. Mine hasn't been in the water yet, but I have upcoming trips to Roatan and Bonaire over the next couple of months so it's going to get put through the ringer. I'll try to be mindful of how it's handled but I can't see it being practical to only lift this thing by the handle, lol.

Back
Top Bottom