Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for a possible double post. I have done now about 36 dives in the Hydros that I bought last year. I am experiencing severe buoyancy/trimming problems. The BCD always forces me to lean strongly left or right when inflated. When I wiggle my shoulders a couple of times the air spreads with a really loud gurgle - only for the problem to return soon.
On my last trip there was another diver who also used the Hydros. Bascially he had the same stats as me (weights, wetsuit thickness, tank, etc. ) and he had no such issue. At all.
I have close to 500 dives and never had such issues with another BCD. Right now I think I will bring it back to the diveshop where I bought it and have it checked.

Did anyone have a similiar issue ? Opinions ? Thanks !

I had the lopsided trim issue and realised that the bungees holding the bladder were not centralised. They get out of whack and don't naturally hold themselves centred. I use some ties to stop them moving off centre excessively.

Thanks for your input Jay ! Could you explain how you tied the bungees a bit more ? Sounds interesting and I am really desperate for a solution here (already know that I will use less weight though).

I had the lopsided trim issue and realised that the bungees holding the bladder were not centralised. They get out of whack and don't naturally hold themselves centred. I use some ties to stop them moving off centre excessively.

I am a dealer and Instructor. Have roughly 100 dives on one of the originals and just discover my left shoulder strap tore loose at the hinge. Inspected the right one and it is in processing of tearing. Will call ScubaPro tomorrow for replacements. This is a issue as we teach students to confirm the bcd is secured to the tank by lifting at shoulder straps and shaking to make sure tank does not slip out. I often walk in mine 200-500 ft from water to pickup with 20 lbs of weight, a lot of strain on these shoulder straps. I love the bcd but seems a better design is warranted.

Happens with several back inflates. I fully inflate prior to downing to Center the cords. Sort of like you have to do with shoe laces

Hi there,

I have about 6 dives on my Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD. When washing it yesterday I noticed that one of the Monoprene attachment holes had ripped through. It is the attachment hole on the monoprene plate attached to the waistband. The screw that goes into this hole attaches the weight pockets to the waistband.

I have attached 2 photos.

Can monoprene be repaired with some kind of glue? Does the warranty cover this? Anyone else experience anything like this?

View attachment 425483 View attachment 425484

I bought two hydros pros one year ago for my son and myself. We have had less than 20 dives with these BCs and both have the same problem. The left arms straps have torn at the joint.
We were in Bonaire at the time and I tried to get replacement straps from the dive shop, who use these as rentals. The dive shop confirmed that they have had multiple problems with the same straps and have a stock of replacement parts just for that! But couldn't give us any since they needed them all.
In addition, my weight pocket has also begun to tear along the plastic ribs.
I returned both BCs to Scubapro who have replaced the parts. I do not know if they have replaced like for like (which wouldnt make sense for a material or design flaw) or if there was any upgrade or change. When I pick them up this weekend I will try and find out.

I bought two hydros pros one year ago for my son and myself. We have had less than 20 dives with these BCs and both have the same problem. The left arms straps have torn at the joint.
We were in Bonaire at the time and I tried to get replacement straps from the dive shop, who use these as rentals. The dive shop confirmed that they have had multiple problems with the same straps and have a stock of replacement parts just for that! But couldn't give us any since they needed them all.
In addition, my weight pocket has also begun to tear along the plastic ribs.
I returned both BCs to Scubapro who have replaced the parts. I do not know if they have replaced like for like (which wouldnt make sense for a material or design flaw) or if there was any upgrade or change. When I pick them up this weekend I will try and find out.
Do you also have the problem with your wings sliding back and forth on the bungee cords?

Do you also have the problem with your wings sliding back and forth on the bungee cords?

The problem is the air moving not the wing...

The wing slides back and forth on the bungee because there is nothing stopping it from doing so. My Knighthawk is secured on both sides, it cannot slip back and forth. I examined several Hydros Pros at a very active Scubapro dealer in Jupiter, FL, in Sept, they were all of the old design.

No, the problem reported by many is that the entire wing moves because there is nothing to limit the side to side movement. Air moving within the wing would not be a problem, it would be expected.

Back
Top Bottom