Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the board. I am currently a Divemaster, started diving in 2002 and bought my last 'private' BCD in 2002 (Scubapro Glide 2000). When I used to work, I dove a Poseidon One Wing system that was quite rugged and able to withstand 3-4 dives a day but not very comfortable for leisure :)

For that reason I was about to pull the trigger and get the relatively new Hydros Pro... but after reading all your posts I am not so sure anymore. It seems that this Monprene material is prone to tearing and actually any photos of the BCD that I can find online show lots of scratches and premature wear even with very few dives on it. Can someone please confirm this? Is this (expensive) BCD so fragile or the wear is mainly an aesthetic issue? I believe that after a certain date some minor issues have been fixed.

My other option is a traditional jacket style X-Black (same price more or less).

ps. money is not an issue and I take really good care of my gear so I do amortize my investment.

Any advise?

I bought my Hydros Pro in April, 2017. The shoulder attachment broke today after 123 dives. I will take it to the LDS where I purchased tomorrow and expect they will send it in and get it fixed and updated under the lifetime warranty. It's a great BCD. Hope the original problems are fixed and behind us. Hoping the turnaround time isn't too long.

I bought my Hydros Pro in April, 2017. The shoulder attachment broke today after 123 dives. I will take it to the LDS where I purchased tomorrow and expect they will send it in and get it fixed and updated under the lifetime warranty. It's a great BCD. Hope the original problems are fixed and behind us. Hoping the turnaround time isn't too long.

Hi Kathy, appreciate very much the feedback :) I will have a go to the official store and have a look at it in person! Still undecided but warming up to it again!

Stay away from this BCD if you dive a lot! Yeah, it’s comfortable. However, mine started tearing first with the kidney pads for the weight pockets (I only dive with 2lbs) and was told that you have to keep the weights out of the bcd until right before you go in. Been doing that yet the pads continue to rip. Then the monoprene shoulder straps ripped too around 250 dives (after babying it and lifting it primarily by the handle). Waiting for replacement parts again so just fed up with this. So many problems with a BCD whereas others have no problems with other style BCDs for years.

Stay away from this BCD if you dive a lot! Yeah, it’s comfortable. However, mine started tearing first with the kidney pads for the weight pockets (I only dive with 2lbs) and was told that you have to keep the weights out of the bcd until right before you go in. Been doing that yet the pads continue to rip. Then the monoprene shoulder straps ripped too around 250 dives (after babying it and lifting it primarily by the handle). Waiting for replacement parts again so just fed up with this. So many problems with a BCD whereas others have no problems with other style BCDs for years.

If you only dive with 2lbs, why not dispense with the weight pouches and use the trim pockets instead? They’re so bulky to warrant one pound in each. Also hard to imagine that one pound is causing anything to rip. Who told you about only putting them in before each dive?

If you only dive with 2lbs, why not dispense with the weight pouches and use the trim pockets instead? They’re so bulky to warrant one pound in each. Also hard to imagine that one pound is causing anything to rip. Who told you about only putting them in before each dive?

SP rep at a dive show told me to put in integrated weights only before a dive to save the kidney monoprene pads. (This was post being told by another SP rep to switch to integrated weights from my trim pockets because my shoulder straps were ripping when crews in Asia would lift my BCD out of the water by the straps). Yes, that’s my point exactly that the minimal weight shouldn’t cause that much damage and need for continual replacement parts. Don’t get me wrong, big fan of SP in general. Just really disappointed with durability for this model and the need to baby it. It’s not easy to get replacement parts in a lot of areas of the world so I am sticking to my other BCDs.

SP rep at a dive show told me to put in integrated weights only before a dive to save the kidney monoprene pads. (This was post being told by another SP rep to switch to integrated weights from my trim pockets because my shoulder straps were ripping when crews in Asia would lift my BCD out of the water by the straps). Yes, that’s my point exactly that the minimal weight shouldn’t cause that much damage and need for continual replacement parts. Don’t get me wrong, big fan of SP in general. Just really disappointed with durability for this model and the need to baby it. It’s not easy to get replacement parts in a lot of areas of the world so I am sticking to my other BCDs.

Was that rep at BTS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom