Scubapro Go BCD and cold water diving lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Scubapro Go travel BCD for warm water travel dive trips. Can this BCD be used for cold water diving in Monterey? The reason why I ask is that a local dive guide told me that it is not enough lift for cold water diving in Monterey. I want to know the facts, does the Scubapro Go travel BCD have sufficient lift and strength to handle heavy cold water gear? Right now I have both a Scubapro Go BCD and Aqualung Seaquest Pro QD BCD (for cold water).

Hi Ben,
I don't own one of those BC's but it looks like the lift changes depending on the size, and could not be enough to plenty. The most inportant thing to look at is how bouyant your suit is and how much weight you carry. You could also load it up and see if your set up rig floats on the surface without you in it. Just be careful not to send it to davy jones locker. I dive in Monterey with a 30 lb wing, and dive a One Piece 7mm.

Gear up and do a buoyancy check. Lift needs to be enought to off set your full load out , but no more. You want make sure you are comfortable on the surface too. You can crunch the numbers for drag weight vs lift but until you check it in the water you won't be sure IMHO.

I will try a buoyancy check in the pool. I do know that for Monterey with my other BCD (Aqualung Seaquest Pro QD), I need between 24-28 pounds for neutral buoyancy. Both have weight integrated pockets so really not sure if the Scubapro Go has enough lift or not.

My Scubapro Go travel BCD is a large size. I have heard different things on whether it can be used for both cold and warm water diving.

SCUBAPRO - GO

It looks like the lift for the large is 36 lbs.

So would that be enough for Monterey? My other BCD the larger one (Aqualung Pro QD) has 40+ lbs of lift.

Ben:

I noticed that this BCD has weight integration. Your BCD MUST have sufficient buoyancy to keep afloat your entire gear set. That means your, regulator, tank, accessories and the weights you carry. To give you an example. Calculate the negative buoyancy of all your equipment. I should be less than the lift capacity of your BCD. If your BCD doesn't have sufficient buoyancy, then it will sink to the bottom even when fully inflated.

Don't go overboard with too much buoyancy. Large bladders produce increase drag and possible air trapping. You want just enough with a little to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom