Scubapro G260 or Poseidon Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dom1220

New
Reaction score
Looking to purchase my own regulator finally deciding between scubapro mk17/g260 or poseidon Jetstream..... looking for any advice on which one to get ... (i do about 25 dives a year mosty warm water and approximately 5 cold water dives)

Both great regs. I have the Mk25+G260 and the Poseidon Jetstream Mk3. I'm diving the Poseidon due to two factors - the G260 is a little heavy in my mouth because of some dental issues. The Jetstream may take you some time to get used to - its, for lack of a better word, a real "mechanical" breather compared to the smoother inrush of air from the G260. That's not a complaint by any means and I prefer the side exhaust of the Jetstream over the centered exhaust of the G260. The Poseidon may be a little bit more difficult to have serviced as the qualified techs are fewer in overall numbers than Scubapro.
You're not going to go wrong with either set but as a qualifier, if I'm going to consider a balanced diaphragm like the Mk17 - I'm also going to heavily look at the AquaLung line. - unless you're caving and I guess AL is not a preferred reg for tech use - why, I don't really know.
I always think piston regs=Scubapro, Diaphragm regs USD/AL.

If you are considering a Poseidon, I would recommend to go with the Xstream. It's a smaller more compact regulator. Bit more expensive, but it's really slick. I say that with at least a dozen Jetstreams in my dive trailer right now.

If considering the G260, i would get it with the Mk25 first stage personally for better hose routing.

@george_austin aqualung isn't used often in technical diving because the hose routing of the Apeks DST is much better vs. the old Conshelf design. Nothing wrong with them and Bill Main still dives Conshelfs as do some other old timers. As it stands now, parts are not officially available unless you are an authorized technician which is why you don't see many Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks, or AUP regulators in cave country in particular. We tend to stay with regulators that we can easily get parts for

Is the Jetstream a decedent of the "Odin"?

jetstream is the odin. I believe the Odin was what they called the combination of Jetstream and the specific first stage that was sold in the US. Not a name they are using anymore but it is the showerhead with the dive-predive switch that evolved into the Xstream

the Xstream

Is it less finicky than the Odin/Jetstream second stage and easier to service?

Is it less finicky than the Odin/Jetstream second stage and easier to service?

It's the same design just with independent inhale/exhale diaphragms. The guts of the two regulators are identical as is the service procedure. Service of them is actually easier than most "normal" looking second stages, and tuning them is very easy as long as you have the forceps to be able to turn the barrel through the mouthpiece

A great choice on both counts.
But what george_austin said. Very different feel between the two.
Try hard to borrow a Jetstream or XStream to breathe from. You may or may not care for it, due to the subtle difference in how the valve cracks. If you're going to dive deep, or if the G260 weight is a little problematic in your mouth, the Poseidon is a fantastic choice. And the mechanics of the ball valve in the 1st stage are the apex of diaphragm design.
But not too many service centers. PM me if you buy Poseidon, and I'll help you out there. Scubapro and the designs of the Mk17 and G260 are very straightforward to service. And of course, parts and centers everywhere.

Since it was commented on, I'd disagree on the Mk25. Hose routing is great, but the reg is not sealed. Have serviced way too many poorly washed Mk25's with grit scoring of the piston land. They die after 15 years diving in areas with light floaty coral sand. A Mk17 will last forever. Or if you love piston firsts, then I think the sealed Atomics have them beat. And their second stages match or exceed the G260 at lighter weight.

There. That should start a fight. :stirpot:

I've never really cared for regulators that were "too anxious" to deliver air. It may be psychosomatic but it gives me a nagging thought in the back of my mind during the dive that I'm "wasting" air. I have a Mk5 + 108 that seems to be trying to force air into my mouth - I realize that this is probably due to the completely awesome rebuild and tuning that I've done to her :) but it kind of freaks me out and takes away a feeling of control as to what my equipment is doing.
The Jetstream on the other hand makes me acutely aware that it will not give up the air until I'm asking for it and I can actually hear the "pop" at the beginning of the demand cycle - which I really enjoy.
And yes, I realize that I could put a 156 or a 109 on that Mk5 and detune for resistance but I haven't found one that is as pretty as the 108 chromewise - she's very shiny :)

I've never really cared for regulators that were "too anxious" to deliver air. It may be psychosomatic but it gives me a nagging thought in the back of my mind during the dive that I'm "wasting" air. I have a Mk5 + 108 that seems to be trying to force air into my mouth - I realize that this is probably due to the completely awesome rebuild and tuning that I've done to her :) but it kind of freaks me out and takes away a feeling of control as to what my equipment is doing.
The Jetstream on the other hand makes me acutely aware that it will not give up the air until I'm asking for it and I can actually hear the "pop" at the beginning of the demand cycle - which I really enjoy.
And yes, I realize that I could put a 156 or a 109 on that Mk5 and detune for resistance but I haven't found one that is as pretty as the 108 chromewise - she's very shiny :)

The main thrust of regulator development for the mainstream market over the last 20 years has been to emulate, as much as possible, the sensation of breathing air above the waterline! This means minimizing cracking resistance and delivering a flow that matches the demand without too much venturi effect. The closest I have personally experienced to this "ideal" has been using Atomic regulators!
Of course there is also the argument that breathing underwater is not, in fact, natural and some people want to have control over the breathing process- this is where Poseidon regs excel, you need to activate the inhalation but then it will supply gas freely.
It's all about "horses for courses" and our personal comfort zones, thankfully we are spoiled with so many excellent choices these days.

Back
Top Bottom