Scubapro G250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went to an estate sale today, and saw an old Scubapro G250 with an SP 1st stage. Tried to find markings on the 1st stage to see which one it was. Also it was a yoke reg and on the yoke instead of having the typical plastic screw that tightens the reg to the tank it was metal. Can anyone possibly date the regulator for me? What would be a fair offer on it, and what should I expect to pay in parts to have it serviced?

I'll guess that it's an early model MK10, which had flat metal yoke screws instead of the plastic knob. If that's what it is and the 1st and 2nd stages are both in good shape $100 is a good price. Wish I found something like that at an estate sale. It's a real classic, very high performing when tuned well. You couldn't do much better.

One hidden problem might be corrosion on the air barrel of the 2nd stage that would not be visible. It's a replaceable part, but probably around $50.

Thanks halocline. I took a flyer on it and bought it before you responded. Took it to a local dive shop, and while they are not a Scubapro dealer the employee I talked to said he used to work for one. Anyway he said right away it looked like a Mk 10. We also looked up the G250, and it looks like it may be a 1986 vintage. I paid a total of $27 for the 1st and 2nd stage. It looks in good shape externally, and hoping it looks good on the inside. Here are some pictures.

Scubapro Mk 10 1st Stage.jpgScubapro G250.jpg

Yep, early MK10. Congratulations, you have just scored one the best deals in regulator purchase I've heard of in a long time. When you get it rebuilt, I'd consider replacing the 2nd stage spring and balance chamber, unless it's clear they're fairly new. They're both cheap. Those plastic balance chambers used to come with the annual kits, then SP got even greedier than before with their service kits and took the chamber out. The spring is not usually replaced at service, but I've found that if the old spring has lost some of resiliency, it won't tune nearly as well. Each part should be about $5, which is not too bad but still overpriced for what they are.

Or, you could do as beaverdivers might suggest and not waste money on old gear. I'll give you your $27 back and you can give him about $500 for a new regulator without all those old-used-gear-cooties. I don't mind the cooties....:wink:

Thanks halocline. Not sure when I'll get around to getting it serviced. I have an expensive(for me) 3 week trip coming up to Mexico. Taking a cavern class up there in addition to diving Cozumel. Heck I might even take this up there if I have the room weight wise if there is someone there that could do the work for me.

Of all of the used 2nd stages I have gotten my hands on, I have by far had the best luck with G250's. So far I have yet to even change a seat on one. Out of the 4 I have picked up, 3 had the old blue poppet and after lubing and changing orings they tuned quite well.

Thanks halocline. Not sure when I'll get around to getting it serviced. I have an expensive(for me) 3 week trip coming up to Mexico. Taking a cavern class up there in addition to diving Cozumel. Heck I might even take this up there if I have the room weight wise if there is someone there that could do the work for me.

I would not make any effort to get the reg serviced in Cozumel. There is a SP dealer but the prices are at least as high as in the U.S., and there's a regulator repair shop way off the main drag, but I don't know if they have SP parts, and I really doubt you'd save any money. I've heard the guy knows his business, but it's a looong cab ride out there and back and who knows what his turn-around time is.

What you should do is get the reg inspected, or at least go through Couv's inspection list (stickied on this forum, I think) and see how it's working. If it were mine, I'd check the IP, leave it pressurized for a few hours, check for leaks in the 2nd stage, maybe pull the cover off the 2nd stage to see what it looks like inside, maybe pull the ambient chamber off to have a look for corrosion, if everything looked clean and held pressure well, I'd dive with it. If there was anything that gave me pause (and I have the advantage of really knowing what to look for) I'd rebuild it.

I took the cavern class with German Yanez on Cozumel. I really enjoyed it but will go to the mainland for cave. Jeez, a three week trip to the Yucatan AND a MK10/G250 for $27? You're on a serious roll....

Mk 10/G250s are the only regs I dive. Have plenty of the Mk 10s but need to find a few more G250s. Great regs. I've used them for decades of frequent diving down to depths of 200 ft.

Back
Top Bottom