ScubaPro G250 Servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snikrs

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I've come across a used 20+ year old ScubaPro G250, and was wondering if it was worth the trouble to restore it, and take it out for a dive. I'm pretty new to the dive scene, but I've heard countless praises with regards to this regulator, and I feel it'll be a waste to let this just sit in some dusty box.

Now, to my question - will I be able to bring this into any ScubaPro authorized service center and have them fix it up? AFAIK, the G250 has been replaced by the G250 HP and following that, the G250V. Are the parts interchangeable between these second stages, should the parts for the G250 not be available?

Hmmm....that's a little new for my tastes, but absolutely it's worth servicing. The original G250 was one of the most successful 2nd stages in scubapro history. After the G250HP disappointed fans of the original, and likely, SP noticed how well the originals were keeping their resale value, they re-issued it as the G250V. Any competent service tech can rebuild this reg easily. The rebuild parts are the same for the various generations of the reg, and any additional parts needed should be readily available. If a SP dealer tells you it's not worth servicing, politely walk away and don't go back.

This is a perfect opportunity to let people know that Bryan at vintage double hose has put together conversion kits for the 109 to balanced/adjustable regs. These are the direct precursor to the G250, and the conversion kit could be used to rebuild the G250. It's the same kit. They include a balance chamber and poppet, which used to be in the G250 kits anyway before SP really cheaped out, and a new spring. I've found that replacing the spring helps to get an optimal tune on the G250 anyway, it's not a bad idea. There might be a couple of additional o-rings but I'm sure Bryan has those too.

Now, to my question - will I be able to bring this into any ScubaPro authorized service center and have them fix it up?

Yes you can, the regulator is still supported but depending on the age you may need additional parts such as a new poppet and balance chamber. Also the dive shop may try to sell you a new reg, which you should resist.

AFAIK, the G250 has been replaced by the G250 HP and following that, the G250V. Are the parts interchangeable between these second stages, should the parts for the G250 not be available?

The parts between the G-250 and G250 V are somewhat interchangeable but not completely. The cases I believe are different. The G250 HP has the air barrel and related parts of the S-600, so it is closer to that regulator than the G-250. However, G-250 can be upgraded to a G-250 HP, Scubapro used to sell an upgrade kit.

As Halocline mentioned some divers do not like the G-250 HP which in my opinion is unreasonable. The G-250 HP is basically a S-600 in a larger case and breathes the same as Scubapro's top-of-the-line regulator. The often cited advantages of the G-250 over the G-250 HP is that the G250 is less complicated to service and has a metal air barrel. BTW, the G-250 HP can have the air barrel upgraded to metal at an annual service.

BTW, the G-250 HP can have the air barrel upgraded to metal at an annual service.

I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong. The S600 now has a metal air barrel, but that would be shorter because the S600 is a smaller case.

All of these regs, the balanced/adjustable, all versions of the G250, and the S600 use the same rebuild kit, same poppet/balance chamber/spring arrangement.

+3
By all means, fix it up and dive it!
It's one of the very best second stages out there, easy to service, and parts are available.
I think I've got 8 of those, ranging from brand new to rugged, and I've always been able to restore them to better than factory spec's.

Yep, the original G250 is the one to have. IMHO the HP has too much monkey-motion (sorry AMS, but judging from your avatar you shouldn't mind :D ) i.e. extra non-user inhalation adjustments, special balance chamber, more o-rings, etc. The only upgrade you need is a new (s-wing) poppet.

Alright! Thanks guys for the helpful insight. Looks like I'll be popping over to the dive shop this week! Really appreciate it.

I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong. The S600 now has a metal air barrel, but that would be shorter because the S600 is a smaller case.

The part number for the air barrel (part #22) of both regulators is 11600022, so I would assume that the metal barrel on the new S600 could be retrofitted in a G250 HP.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2014 at 01:01 PM ----------

Yep, the original G250 is the one to have. IMHO the HP has too much monkey-motion (sorry AMS, but judging from your avatar you shouldn't mind :D ) i.e. extra non-user inhalation adjustments, special balance chamber, more o-rings, etc. The only upgrade you need is a new (s-wing) poppet.

I don't mind and agree that the G250 HP is more complicated then it needs to be. What I find annoying is when people praise the S600 and then criticize the G-250 HP when they breath the same.

The part number for the air barrel (part #22) of both regulators is 11600022, so I would assume that the metal barrel on the new S600 could be retrofitted in a G250 HP.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2014 at 01:01 PM ----------

I don't mind and agree that the G250 HP is more complicated then it needs to be. What I find annoying is when people praise the S600 and then criticize the G-250 HP when they breath the same.

Is that your Apeks ATX100 and ATX50 on eBay? I stumbled upon it and noticed user name is the same as yours here.

Is that your Apeks ATX100 and ATX50 on eBay? I stumbled upon it and noticed user name is the same as yours here.

Yes, I had an ATX-100, 2- ATX-50s and an ATX-40.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom