Scubapro C300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seraphimx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone, I've tried my gear in pool yesterday after I received it from yearly service.

I have a SP Mk17 with G250v(primary) + G250HP(octo). I use a 7 foot hose and I find that my G250HP always get stuck between my chin and my drysuit inflator on my chest.

I'm not tall so the the distance between my chin and the inflator is about 4 inches.

I've been thinking into buying a smaller 2nd stage and keeping the G250HP for another kit.

I've checked the C300 but my LDS doesn't have it in stock. Are there good reviews? Some "guessed" it would have the same mechanism as the X650. I haven't seen any information anywhere about it.
I've also checked and used the R395 in pool classes and liked it.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

I think it won't matter, it will still get stuck. The difference in size is not that much. Have you tried a shorter necklace? That might help.

I've got a G250V on a necklace and I have no problem with it getting stuck.

That said, the C300 looks like a nice piece of kit, but I haven't seen one yet outside of DEMA, (I work in a shop and am the reg tech.)

I've HEARD it can be tuned down to 1" of water for cracking pressure without leaking or freeflowing, which is impressive for an unbalanced reg. (These are claims I've heard from Scubapro, so take it for what it's worth.)

That said, I'd find a way to make the G250 work. Kit commonality is a good thing, and there's the whole "bird in hand" thing...

It looks like its sort of a barrel poppet unbalanced with a new lever that allows the diaphragm to be positioned lower than the center of the barrel. That theoretically would position the diaphragm a bit more advantageously in normal diving position and could, I suppose, reduce the case fault geometry issue. That's often the limiting factor in how low cracking effort can be reliably set.

You could try making your necklace shorter. I have dived with the C300 and found it very good, maybe a overkill for backup. Could also look at a R295/395.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try a shorter necklace before buying anything.

But I want to buy a 2nd stage in the near future to complete another reg set that I have bought used.

I tought of keeping one set with all "on warranty items" and the other with all the used stuff I bought on scubaboard market :p

The C300 would make a very good primary for your second set!!

My new gear is MK17/ G250v

Old gear is MK17/G250Hp/R295

I'm wondering if I should just keep the G250HP to have similar regs and need only one service kit for that setup.

Or just go with a R395 for the New setup as a backup.

Choices. For the moment since I have spent too much $ on gear, I'll keep that and use the second Mk17 for a Y valve setup.

So, you have two MK17s, one G250HP, one G250V, and one R295? I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but.....

1. For two complete single tank set ups, just buy a used R190 (or similar R395, etc) and an additional LP inflator hose and SPG (or whatever you use)

2. For a complete doubles set, use the 2 MK17s, the G250V on the long hose, the G250HP on the short, and buy a used MK2 to pair with your R295 for a stage. That would also work very well for a pony bottle if you're into that sort of thing.

I think that's the cheapest option to solve those two problems. I'd forget about the "warranty" it just means you have to continually spend money needlessly, unless you dive 150 times/year I guess. Used regulators are a major money-saver, once you get away from the service-annually-whether-it-needs-it-or-not mentality.

I totally agree with you Halocline. I found another G250HP used at 60$. If I buy the newer G250v at 350$ the warranty would make a profit in 8 years (calculated it actually after 7.25 year).

I'll take option one and make another setup. I'll have two setups.
One DIR.
One "normal".

Also, my girlfriend is taking here OW classes, she'll probably take the second set anyways.

I wanted to go doubles or dual Y valve (beuchat one with two dip tubes).

But i should wait til I have enough dives under my belt before I go that route.<

Thanks for the tips, I'll close the thread at the end of the day if there's no reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom