Scubapro Balanced Power Inflator(BPI) Worth the cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m just curious, what do they mean by “balanced”?
Does that mean that the inflator valve is pneumatically assisted similar to how a balanced second stage works?
If so, then they could potentially get a lot more flow and use a lighter spring since IP pressure is helping hold the valve shut.

Does that mean that the inflator valve is pneumatically assisted similar to how a balanced second stage works?

Yes, AFAIK.

If you believe the 'blurb', I like it because it does:
"The ScubaPro Balanced Power Inflator is fully servicable and can be connected to all Scubapro BCD’s. It has astonishing simplicity and performance.
High inflation speed, especially at depth. – hose not included. It is of primary importance for safety as well as for progressive flow. Allows the diver to precisely inject the correct volume of air in the BC resulting in the most accurate buoyancy control."
End quote.

I use the Scubapro inflators on all of my wings. Never an issue, and I like where the buttons are located.

I worked a shop many years ago and they pushed us to sell the SP Balanced inflator, mainly for the profit margin over other inflators.

I asked why it was better and all they would say was "Because it's balanced, Like the G250". I don't think I ever sold one. I couldn't give a good reason why it was supposedly so much better than a $20 Sport Divers inflator. I still have a Sport Divers inflator and it works fine.

"Yeah because it's balanced!"

full.jpg

"Balanced schmalanced!"

Did a rescue class with someone who had one. Difficult for the rescuer to tell the difference between the inflate and dump buttons. I have used them with rental gear and always had to look at them to tell. I vastly prefer the K style.

Never felt the speed or precision to be lacking on the Ks. I tend to use short bursts during descent, but I've done the head-down, flare & mash the inflator last second at 100 ft as well.

The valve is more similar to a center balanced design like in the D series or AIR 1. FWIW I've never seen a balanced inflator stick open and cause unwanted inflation-even the old crusty units. All AIR 2 inflator/regulators have a balanced inflator incorporated; I've never seen one of those stick open either.

They are very easy to service; I have some that have been around for years. Anyone who wants one would do well to buy a used one for a fraction of the cost of new and service it.

I mostly use the Zeagle inflator, easy to rebuild and I like the coupler so I can pack a spare and not have to mess with zip ties. The SP is a good unit but very pricy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom