Scubapro Balanced Power Inflator(BPI) Worth the cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I have been considering getting a Scubapro Balanced Power Inflator(BPI). I like the way the buttons are positioned it looks like it would be easy to use and comfortable. What are the goods and bads with this inflator. Do you have any more control with these buttons vs the stock ones that come on most bcds inflators. Can someone explain what they mean by balanced power inflator? Is this different than any other stock inflator if so is it worth the $139 they want for it? thank you

Personally, I don't like any of the inflators with the buttons on the side. I don't think that is ergonomic at all. I haven't used the BPI, but just looking at it I can tell I wouldn't like it.

Between my various rigs and those of my family, I have probably a dozen BCDs or wings. Every one of them has the $17.00 tech style inflator from DGX. If they didn't come with one, I replaced it. You can get 8 for the price of one BPI and at $17, it's easy to have a spare to swap out if you have an issue, then rebuild later.

$139/unit is absurd.

I like it.
Came with the X TEK Pure wing and harness, also on the Hydros Pro I have.
Easy to use and much better than the inflator on my other wing [HOG] and SP Jacket [older SP inflator].
Very well designed .

Gotta ask....

I get that it may be OEM when you buy a SP BCD, but sounds like OP is looking to buy this LPI as an "upgrade."

WHY do you prefer it? What is the feature that justifies such a price premium?

Gotta ask....

I get that it may be OEM when you buy a SP BCD, but sounds like OP is looking to buy this LPI as an "upgrade."

WHY do you prefer it? What is the feature that justifies such a price premium?

I have replaced the “Tech style” a.k.a. K-style inflator on my non-SP wing with a BPI. So I have done that, too. For the record, I didn’t pay nearly that much for a BPI as a spare part.

First, I have literal decades of muscle memory for the buttons from diving with my old trusty Knighthawk. I have to admit that is specific to me, and not generally applicable.

Two things I think are…

When I have used other inflators, i found that they provide less control. I’m able to very precisely add the right amount of air with the SP BPI. I’ve used a lot of rental BCs and various loaner gear when traveling over the years. Most power inflators feel like dull tools by comparison. The TUSA APA is the only other inflator that feels similarly precise IMO.

I really like that the buttons are on the same side of the thing…. When I grab it, I get both controls at the same time. There’s no need to re-orient my hands… I realize this is a pretty specific comparison… but it’s like touch typing. When I grab it, I have both controls and I don’t have to think about it. I just do what I need to do. I never fumble with it.

Fair enough.

I suppose it's what you're used to. What I like about a tech inflator is the same thing - my hand goes straight to the controls - thumb on exhaust and middle finger on inflate. I haven't had any problem with precision, even on CCR, which puts a premium on it.

But what works, works and worth money if it does. I'm just glad we'll cheapo is what works best for me.

You will probably never have to replace the Scubapro BPI since it seems to never break in my experience compared with all other brands and models. In contrast to you who are upgrading to other brands and keep doing it again and again over time, if you bought the Scubapro BPI, you probably never need to upgrade.

I have a Scubapro Air2 that I use as an inflator that I don’t use as a secondary air source. It seems to inflate quicker and I can be more precise with small quick bursts. Does the BPI also require the special higher flow LP hose adapter and inflate more quickly than a regular BC inflator?

Regular hose and fitting, it is fully servicable, unlike some that are throw aways first sign of trouble, they may be cheap but not for me.
From their site:
The Scubapro Balanced Power Inflator comes as a complete item. The Scubapro Balanced Power Inflator set comes with a 64 cm. low pressure hose with quick disconnect system and the bottom piece. Please note it does not come with the (pictured) corrugated BC hose or the shoulder dump.

The Scubapro Balanced Power Inflator is compatible with most Scubapro BCDs. If you are unsure, please check with us for confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom