Scubapro annual service fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LesN

Reaction score
I have a question. I bought Scubapro a year ago, due to their reputation and warranty. I guess I didn't understand the warranty. I'm finding out that to maintain the "free parts for life" warranty, I must get the regulators serviced annually and all the dive shops seem to savor the day you miss that one annual service so they can hit you for parts cost too. The fees vary wildly between dive shops. A local shop wants $25 a stage, another $15. Now me and my wife carry ponies, so total we have 10 stages. What are other Scubapro owners doing out there? Getting the annual service? What is the typical cost for said service? Thanks for any info/advice.

I get my gear serviced at the beginning of each "season" (ie. I live in new england and don't own a dry suit yet) and my LDS charges around $30 for everything (excluding tank checks/tests).

As long as I do this my gear is guaranteed by my dive shop (which is where I purchase all my gear) against any defects. If it breaks it either gets fixed or replaced for free :)

If you're lucky...

My scubapro Mk20 hasn't been rebuilt in 4 years and the IP is still in range and it works great. With the cost of servicing and the extra initial cost from buying from a shop, it makes sense to purchase from leisurepro.com and just replace your regs every 3 or 4 years. You can still get a fair price for your 3 or 4 year old set of regs too... Figure up the costs and you'll see... For me, 4 years of $75 services plus paying $300 more at the LDS seems crazy when you can buy a MK25/S600 for $389 every 4 years...

Really, it's an economic decision you have to make for yourself. Here's some info.

The labor (not a "fee") for an overhaul (replacing wear-outable and dry-outable parts) will range from $15 to $25 per stage. Labor for a reg "check" will run you $15 to $30 for a reg set (free if you're a *really* good customer).

For SP regs, if you do not have the parts warrenty, parts will run you retail $20 stage (first stages), $10-15 (second stages). (All figures are ballpark and from memory).

FWIW, I have one SP reg set, and I have a complete overhaul performed every year. At bare minimum, I would recommened the reg being checked every year, and overhauled every other. Keep in mind that it's not just useage that wears out internal parts. O-rings and rubber break down over time, seats take a set, parts need to be re-lubed and spiders dug out!

Also, I am under the impression that the SP parts warrenty also covers any mandatory upgrades SP orders in the future. It also covers parts that wear out even if these are not "annual service kit" parts. i.e. the crown to your HP seat gets worn and is leaking, or the spring for the piston shows stress fractures, the parts warrenty will cover the replacement of these parts (everything but labor charges). W/O the parts warrenty, you pay retail for those replacement parts *above* the cost of the annual service kit. Those could be $20 to $60 parts down the road.

In short, my advice would be: it's life support equipment, don't be a nickel rocket and skimp on the annual overhaul. Take it to a technician with good credentials and lots of experience, not the cheapest. Keep the warrenty up. YMMV.

jamiei:
If you're lucky...

My scubapro Mk20 hasn't been rebuilt in 4 years and the IP is still in range and it works great. With the cost of servicing and the extra initial cost from buying from a shop, it makes sense to purchase from leisurepro.com and just replace your regs every 3 or 4 years. You can still get a fair price for your 3 or 4 year old set of regs too... Figure up the costs and you'll see... For me, 4 years of $75 services plus paying $300 more at the LDS seems crazy when you can buy a MK25/S600 for $389 every 4 years...

wowsers. My friend holds a similar philosophy...
Do you trust an IP reading as a reg performance indicator?
She does...not sure if I do...very interesting comment.
:15a:

SP must somewhat more 'relaxed' about things up here. I think last year I was told you can miss a year and not lose out on the free parts warranty. Also I have taken the reg to a shop in another town for its annual servicing and no one asked me anything about where it was bought or when it was last serviced. Work was just done and all I paid was labour ($30 US). Took it back to my LDS the following year and no issues.

SP does not track the service histories on individual regs but rather relies on the dealers keeping copies of the service slips to track service histories for their customers. It is pretty much an honor system as the dealers could potentially allow warranty parts for everyone. However allowing the US warranty free parts for life on Leisure pro and from other grey market or off shore sources could eventually result in the free parts thing becoming cost prohibitive and being discontinued by Scubapro so it is not in anyone's interest to abuse the warranty program.

At present if you do let the warranty expire by missing an annual service, you can still get it reinstated by paying for the parts costs for the next service at which point you are then back in SP's good graces for subsequent annual services.

The dealer also has some lattitude on the 12 month interval so if you are a little over a year it should not be a big deal. If you are a really really good customer, even skipping a year now and then may also not be too big a deal to the dealer, but you would need to be a really, really, good customer.

We had a local shop close here recently, so we are very limited in our ability to confirm original ownership as the other shop is not open to call and confirm the service information with that shop's former customers. So basically, if they have lost their documantation of the last service we are pretty much trusting them this year in the interest of good customer service (at least in cases where it is not grossly obvious that the reg has not been serviced in a long time - something that is usually obvious once you start poking around inside the reg) and will not get too picky until next year on documentation of service histories.

Our labor charges run $10.00 per stage, which is a really good deal. SP recommends $25.00 per stage but we frankly regard that as being more than a little high for the divers in our area.

But even if you are paying $25.00 per stage, it is still cheap insurance for peace of mind and is not going to be the largest expense you have every year.

I must be a really really good customer as not only did I miss the year but the LDS didn't charge me for the extra parts, just labour.

Your service fee does seem really really fair at $10 a stage and I am sure if folks had an address you could have SP regs from all over North America to work on :biggrin:

I'm confused about the post from jamei, aren't we *supposed* to get regs serviced every year for safety??- do other divers not do this then?- please let me know if I am just throwing away my cash every year.
BTW- I have Genesis, not Scuabapro, but I missed my annual service date by 5 days and my LDS who gets a significant amount of trade from me for various things chose to take it as skipped- so my service was 65.

munkispank:
I'm confused about the post from jamei, aren't we *supposed* to get regs serviced every year for safety??- do other divers not do this then?- please let me know if I am just throwing away my cash every year.
BTW- I have Genesis, not Scuabapro, but I missed my annual service date by 5 days and my LDS who gets a significant amount of trade from me for various things chose to take it as skipped- so my service was 65.

I would have complained and told them I will take my business elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom