Scubapro Air2 vs. Tusa Duo-Air integragted Octo BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I really like the idea of streamlining my equipment especially for an Octo. I plan to do some spearfishing in the near future and don't want to have an octo dragging along. So far, I've narrowed down to two choices for an integrated octo/BC. Any comments or feedback for the Scubapro AIR2 vs. Tusa Duo-Air? My equipment decision so far are as follows: Tusa Platina Evolution BC, Zeagle Envoy Delux regulator, Atoms 2 computer, AB Biller stainless steal professional 36" speargun, and still debating on AIR2 or Duo-Air. BTW, I'm a real newbie with only 4 tropical dives on my log, but I've been reading a lot and plan to get serious with the hobby.

If your primary intrest is to keep your octo from dangling why not try putting it on a short bungee necklace around your neck?

Good point. But, I do like the streamline look and convience. I know this topic has been hotly debated but between the two, which would you choose and why?

I would clearly choose a bungee backup.

a) Nothing is more streamlined. Even with the loss of the extra hose, you still have a clunky second stage flopping around on the end of an inflator hose if you use an Air2... with a bungee backup and long hose, everything is in tight, close to your body and immediately accesible.

b) Why is removing one single hose considered "streamlining?" Heck - if that's the case, take an ammo belt full of spare airs and have yourself a hoseless regulator system.

c) If your BC inflator starts to freeflow, the only remedy you have is to disconnect your inflator. Well congrats - you just disconnected your backup air supply as well. To me that's NOT an acceptable shortcut to be taking on my life and well being.

johnnyboy2476:
Good point. But, I do like the streamline look and convience. I know this topic has been hotly debated but between the two, which would you choose and why?
I use a regulator on a bungeed back up. There are a lot of people that like the Air2 style octos but I'm not one of them. As Boogie aluded to you need to look at the hole picture. For example, what could be a small problem with your BC now effects your alternate air source. Also, everyone is worried about "streamlining" these days. And while I think it's a good thing I can't see how moving your octo to the end of your power inflator reduces drag enough to make it a celling point. On the other hand, what is more convienent then having your backup regulator right below your chin?

As to the question of which one, I suggest you go with whichever you can most easily get serviced. But you really should try a bungeed octo first. And that's from someone who is not a member of DAIO (divers against integrated octos).

Just for what its worth. Have you considered the Sherwood shadow +? I use it because in the event of a inflator hosef ailure as mentioned above, I can disconect it and have not lost my octo......

Its just another option, thats all......

If you buy an Air2 verify that your current BC inflator hose will fit the Air2 before you leave the shop. I have had my Air2 for a long time but I seem to remember having to purchase a new inflator hose due to diameter requirements.

I cant comment on the differences between brands or pros/cons versus an octopus as I have used an Air2 since the early 90's. I had my first one for about 12 years and my second one is going on 3 years. No problems with either during dives or practicing out of air accents with the spouse.

Johnny boy was pretty clear that he has heard the anti air 2 debate before and is not interested in repeating it. So at the risk of getting the thread back on track and away from integrated inflator/octo bashing in general, I'll actually address jonnyboy's question.

The Tusa Duo-Air and Scubapro Air 2 are both made by Tabata and the Tusa Duo Air is functionally identical to the 3rd generation Air 2 with the only difference being some minor cosmetic changes. Any other perceived differences are just a matter of adjustment. For the last few years I have used SP 3rd gen annual service kits to rebuild my Duo Air.

Both now come with adapters to accomodate non standard corrogated inflator hoses.

So basically, choose the one you can get serviced the easiest in your area. The Tusa will probably cost a little less.

Thank you DA Aquamaster, that was the response I'm looking for. Your comment will now make my buying decision much easier.

DA Aquamaster:
Johnny boy was pretty clear that he has heard the anti air 2 debate before and is not interested in repeating it. So at the risk of getting the thread back on track and away from integrated inflator/octo bashing in general, I'll actually address jonnyboy's question.

The Tusa Duo-Air and Scubapro Air 2 are both made by Tabata and the Tusa Duo Air is functionally identical to the 3rd generation Air 2 with the only difference being some minor cosmetic changes. Any other perceived differences are just a matter of adjustment. For the last few years I have used SP 3rd gen annual service kits to rebuild my Duo Air.

Both now come with adapters to accomodate non standard corrogated inflator hoses.

So basically, choose the one you can get serviced the easiest in your area. The Tusa will probably cost a little less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom