Scubapro Air2 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup I will be for the most part diving solo. None of my friends dive so for now I am the only diver in my circle of friends/family until I successfully convert a few.

I actually enjoy diving solo when I'm spearfishing but would not mind having a buddy when I'm out there chasing bugs.

For the pony tank I will be using a 19cf tank mounted to my HP100 with a X-bracket using a tank strap/cam buckle instead of using the two stainless hose clamps that came with it, do you think that's a good idea?

Are you asking is the X bracket a good idea or is solo diving? That's a different thread...but the thing is that recreational dive training is entirely based on the premise that you have a buddy. As far as the rig goes, I've only used slung pony, and I like the fact that the valve is right in front of me. But a redundant air source is only one aspect of safe solo diving.

I'd still ditch the air2 and use a bungied octo/5 ft primary hose. I just find it much more comfortable and streamlined than the usual big loop over the right shoulder. And I think there's nothing wrong with having 2 second stages on one 1st stage even when solo diving.

Are you asking is the X bracket a good idea or is solo diving? That's a different thread...but the thing is that recreational dive training is entirely based on the premise that you have a buddy. As far as the rig goes, I've only used slung pony, and I like the fact that the valve is right in front of me. But a redundant air source is only one aspect of safe solo diving.

I'd still ditch the air2 and use a bungied octo/5 ft primary hose. I just find it much more comfortable and streamlined than the usual big loop over the right shoulder. And I think there's nothing wrong with having 2 second stages on one 1st stage even when solo diving.

Actually I just trying to see if there's any opinion on replacing the two included stainless hose clamp (included with the X-bracket) with a regular tank strap like this one or this one. I actually called Reef Scuba Accessories(the manufacturer of X-Bracket) and they got back to me that it is physically possible to pass two tank band through the X-Bracket although it's might be a bit tight.

I agree with you about having an regular 2nd stage reg octopus. When I got certified over 20 years ago, the standard set up included an octopus and I am used to having that on my rig so I agree there is absolutely nothing wrong with having one. Since the BC I am getting came with an Air2, I want to give it a shot and if I don't like it I don't have to use it since I already have a C300 on my rig as an octopus.

Coiling it up with an bungee and tuck it away sounds like a great idea! Where do you have your coiled up octopus?

Thanks

I assume he is talking about a HOG/DIR/UTD type setup. If you want to see an illustration then look here. Also Dive Rite has a couple of YouTube Videos illustrating rec and tech configurations.

[video=youtube;dSKGKG-8zRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKGKG-8zRA[/video]

[video=youtube;BuvOOtolVZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvOOtolVZc[/video]

Since the BC I am getting came with an Air2, I want to give it a shot and if I don't like it I don't have to use it...

An Air2 is sort of like one of those little donut spare tires. They seem like a good idea, but you won't REALLY know whether you like having one until you need to actually use it for its intended purpose.

An Air2 is sort of like one of those little donut spare tires. They seem like a good idea, but you won't REALLY know whether you like having one until you need to actually use it for its intended purpose.

May be I am being a little overly sensitive but I am sensing that you do not like the Air2 all that much :D

Have a great weekend!

---------- Post added November 8th, 2013 at 07:46 PM ----------

I assume he is talking about a HOG/DIR/UTD type setup. If you want to see an illustration then look here. Also Dive Rite has a couple of YouTube Videos illustrating rec and tech configurations.

Cool vids and lots of ideas for me to try out to see what works for me, thanks!

Enjoy your weekend!

May be I am being a little overly sensitive but I am sensing that you do not like the Air2 all that much :D

Just saying that you won't really know how you like "using it" unless you actually need to use it.

Just saying that you won't really know how you like "using it" unless you actually need to use it.

I know what you're saying. Next time I go out with it I will make to drill on that a bit and see how it works for me.

I know what you're saying. Next time I go out with it I will make to drill on that a bit and see how it works for me.

By "using it" I don't mean "drill on that a bit" in a planned, controlled way. In order to really know "how it works for you" you'd need to experience using it "by surprise" perhaps near the deepest part of your dive. Bonus "reality points" if a good swim to the upline or exit point is required before beginning and managing a controlled ascent to the surface. Do you dive a drysuit? Even more "reality" points. But for mega-reality points you need a near-panicked OOA diver to hit you up for air by surprise, where you need to get the two of you together - both probably over-breathing - air-share-wise, and begin and manage an ascent all the way to the surface.

The lovely idea of this...

Donut.jpg

Is very different than the reality of this...

3396396247_cb3551ba39.jpg

Last edited:
Your tire analogy is a good one. A donut spare is only designed to get you to a service station to either have the flat tire repaired or replaced. It is not designed for prolonged use. The Air 2 is similar to that. It is designed to take the diver and his buddy to the surface. It is not designed to take divers though restrictions or for deco dives. Like the donut spare it is designed for emergency not prolonged use.

I'm the biggest chicken when it comes to cold water and the cold (warm for some) water here in So.Cal is the coldest I will want to dive in.

My last dive 2 weeks ago I was in my new custom wetsuit (got back into the sport after a 20 years break plus many many additional pounds) and it was nice and toasty.

Not sure though whether it was my new wetsuit that was keeping me warm or it was my extra blubber :D

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 08:35 PM ----------

Thanks for the referral on the hose. I was about to get the Miflex hose until I read about the high failure rate and the fuzzy/fraying problem they have.

I have one regular LP reg hose with Air2 adaptor on its way from Scared Silly so I am going to try that out but the double braided hose looks like a good option when it's time for a new hose.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 08:42 PM ----------

Yeah I know what you are saying. The opinions on Air2 and other Air2 type devices are very diverse. I actually agree with most of them (both for or against) and being exposed to arguments on both sides is really helpful in figuring out for myself whether it will work for me in my situation.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

Yup I will be for the most part diving solo. None of my friends dive so for now I am the only diver in my circle of friends/family until I successfully convert a few.

I actually enjoy diving solo when I'm spearfishing but would not mind having a buddy when I'm out there chasing bugs.

For the pony tank I will be using a 19cf tank mounted to my HP100 with a X-bracket using a tank strap/cam buckle instead of using the two stainless hose clamps that came with it, do you think that's a good idea? I like to be able to separate the pony completely from the bracket easily after each dive for thorough cleaning and drying (OCD? :D ).

I spearfish often, use a back mounted pony on a bracket similar to a X bracket, and also use an air 2 now for probably 12-15 years. I have been very happy with them. They work well, and they are especially good for a pony bottle diver because they avoid the diver having 3 second stages that can be confused, realtively easily. If you mix up the pony and primary second stages in an emergency, you can die, It is impossible (I think) to confuse the air 2 with a standard second stage...

Don't take advice about an Air2 from people who don't understand that it is an entirely different kind of fitting than a standard inflator and it is much, much easier to disconnect in the event of an emergency inflator malfunction, which is a rather common failure (relatively) for standard BC inflators.

They are not hard to use and extremely easy to locate because you are handling the air 2 several times EVERY dive, when you inflate and deflate the BC. You are forced to learn to deploy it instantly, by normal diving. In contrast to an octopus, that many people NEVER practice deploying or using.

I practice using the Air 2, it works fine, but it is not particularly comfortable- which should be the least of your worries in a life or death situation. This video is of me using it while my son uses the primary (to conserve air) as we make our way horizontally at 80 feet over to the anchor line. The pony reg is around my neck and available for use if needed. Does this look hard or challenging? I don't get the donute spare tire analogy at all.

[video=youtube_share;vDrF1AOnabc]http://youtu.be/vDrF1AOnabc[/video]
share air video - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom