Scubapro Air2 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is Atomic's connector proprietary, too?

As if I needed another reason to be a non-fan of integrated inflator/backups.

It's a standard coupling (not just SCUBA, but in many other industries) and fits Tusa, ScubaPro, Atomic, Sherwood Zeagle integrated inflators.

I'm not trying to sell you one, but it isn't some weird death-trap either.

Last edited:
It's a standard coupling (not just SCUBA, but in many other industries) and fitsTusa, ScubaPro, Atomic, Sherwood & Zeagle integrated inflators.

I'm not trying to sell you one, but it isn't some weird death-trap either.

No prob, I get it now. Always knew the coupling was different (on Air2 anyway) but...

1.) Never realized that the LP hose was - and possibly needed to be - a larger diameter
2.) Never considered, but makes sense when you think about it, that the valve would need to be different given the "demand" nature of an Air2/SS1

As pointed out by you guys, the Air2 serves 2 purposes (inflator and ocotpus)
I use mine for a 3rd purpose. When ice water diving I have had problems in the past with 1st stage freeflows causing the air to freeflow through my drysuit inflator at times and secondaries at others upon entrance. Now when I enter the water, I breath off the Air2 first. It and my drysuit valve hose are attached to a pony 13 strapped upside down to the left side of my tank. If a freeflow starts upon entrance I only lose that tank. If I have time I might be able to shut off the valve before the 1st stage blows. Once I have been under for a short time the 1st stage on my main tank will have been "warmed up" by the water hopefully. I just stay very shallow and close to shore along the edge of the ice shelf. If ice diving i also sling a 19 on my right side. The 13 hookup seems to work. I don't get freeflows as often.

I use mine for a 3rd purpose. When ice water diving I have had problems in the past with 1st stage freeflows causing the air to freeflow through my drysuit inflator at times and secondaries at others upon entrance. Now when I enter the water, I breath off the Air2 first. It and my drysuit valve hose are attached to a pony 13 strapped upside down to the left side of my tank. If a freeflow starts upon entrance I only lose that tank. If I have time I might be able to shut off the valve before the 1st stage blows. Once I have been under for a short time the 1st stage on my main tank will have been "warmed up" by the water hopefully. I just stay very shallow and close to shore along the edge of the ice shelf. If ice diving i also sling a 19 on my right side. The 13 hookup seems to work. I don't get freeflows as often.

Just the thought of the cold icy water....painful! :)

My next rig will be a BPW but for now a Knighthawk will have to do.

Thx

I would suggest selling the air2 (they get a decent price on ebay) and using the proceeds to get a LP inflator, a standard octo, and a long hose set; maybe 5ft for the primary, and 24" for the octo. Then you can make a bungie necklace for the octo. This will give you all the advantages that the dealers claim for the air2, plus when you switch to the BP/W you'll already have the set up for a standard octo/inflator, and diving with a long hose/bungied octo is much more comfortable (IMO) than a short primary hose and bulky octo/inflator mechanism.

If you keep the air2, you should get the long primary hose anyway, because you'll be donating the primary. One episode of sharing air with a stressed diver on a short primary hose while trying to manage air in the BC will immediately cure you of any fondness for the air2, trust me on that one.

The other thing, and they forget to mention this in the dive shops, that you use the inflator several times on every dive, and having a simple, compact inflator with only two buttons is a lot more convenient IMO.

I made a pledge to myself that I wouldn't keep posting on these billions and billions of octo/inflator threads, oops!....I guess I have a problem.

<disclaimer> I mostly didn't read the rest of this thread </disclaimer>

Option #4: Buy a ScubaPro style adapter from DGE and put it on an 18" dbl braided reg hose (not braided inflator hose). I use this option and it works great. If you can buy enough things to put you over $50, shipping is free (they have a lot of cool items at great prices).

Just cuz we want you to know all of our options. :wink:

I have the same setup as you are considering so here is my 2 cents. For general OW. Just keep the Air 2, if you want new you can get the Scubapro hose with adapter for around $35 at most dive shops or $15-20 used on eBay. If you have a good LP hose with a standard 3/8 female connection you can just buy the adapter that is 3/8 male and screws into the hose.

You will most likely never use it to breathe off with your setup but in an emergency it will work. Also, in the unlikely event you do use it the Knighthawk has a dump valve on the right shoulder so you don't need to worry about taking it out of your mouth to adjust buoyancy as you ascend.

Since you will dive with a pony that creates a secondary air source so an octo off your main is not needed and would most likely cause confusion. You can attach your backup reg to your pony tank and run a long hose to a necklace (that's how I do it when solo), then it's always there for you 6 inches from your mouth but long enough the you can pull it off your neck and donate it if you do have a buddy. For buddy dive you can sling it so that it can be easily removed and donated rather than donating your primary.

I made a pledge to myself that I wouldn't keep posting on these billions and billions of octo/inflator threads, oops!....I guess I have a problem.

Maybe you should keep your pledge. :D Your advice is generally excellent, but I get the impression the OP is primarily going to dive solo with a pony so a long hose is not needed. The Air 2 isn't needed either, but he wants it in case he dives with a buddy or if he problems with the primary.

There's no such thing as "cold water" only "wrong gear."

:d

I'm the biggest chicken when it comes to cold water and the cold (warm for some) water here in So.Cal is the coldest I will want to dive in.

My last dive 2 weeks ago I was in my new custom wetsuit (got back into the sport after a 20 years break plus many many additional pounds) and it was nice and toasty.

Not sure though whether it was my new wetsuit that was keeping me warm or it was my extra blubber :D

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 08:35 PM ----------

<disclaimer> I mostly didn't read the rest of this thread </disclaimer>

Option #4: Buy a ScubaPro style adapter from DGE and put it on an 18" dbl braided reg hose (not braided inflator hose). I use this option and it works great. If you can buy enough things to put you over $50, shipping is free (they have a lot of cool items at great prices).

Just cuz we want you to know all of our options. :wink:

Thanks for the referral on the hose. I was about to get the Miflex hose until I read about the high failure rate and the fuzzy/fraying problem they have.

I have one regular LP reg hose with Air2 adaptor on its way from Scared Silly so I am going to try that out but the double braided hose looks like a good option when it's time for a new hose.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 08:42 PM ----------

I would suggest selling the air2 (they get a decent price on ebay) and using the proceeds to get a LP inflator, a standard octo, and a long hose set; maybe 5ft for the primary, and 24" for the octo. Then you can make a bungie necklace for the octo. This will give you all the advantages that the dealers claim for the air2, plus when you switch to the BP/W you'll already have the set up for a standard octo/inflator, and diving with a long hose/bungied octo is much more comfortable (IMO) than a short primary hose and bulky octo/inflator mechanism.

If you keep the air2, you should get the long primary hose anyway, because you'll be donating the primary. One episode of sharing air with a stressed diver on a short primary hose while trying to manage air in the BC will immediately cure you of any fondness for the air2, trust me on that one.

The other thing, and they forget to mention this in the dive shops, that you use the inflator several times on every dive, and having a simple, compact inflator with only two buttons is a lot more convenient IMO.

Yeah I know what you are saying. The opinions on Air2 and other Air2 type devices are very diverse. I actually agree with most of them (both for or against) and being exposed to arguments on both sides is really helpful in figuring out for myself whether it will work for me in my situation.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

Maybe you should keep your pledge. :D Your advice is generally excellent, but I get the impression the OP is primarily going to dive solo with a pony so a long hose is not needed. The Air 2 isn't needed either, but he wants it in case he dives with a buddy or if he problems with the primary.

Yup I will be for the most part diving solo. None of my friends dive so for now I am the only diver in my circle of friends/family until I successfully convert a few.

I actually enjoy diving solo when I'm spearfishing but would not mind having a buddy when I'm out there chasing bugs.

For the pony tank I will be using a 19cf tank mounted to my HP100 with a X-bracket using a tank strap/cam buckle instead of using the two stainless hose clamps that came with it, do you think that's a good idea? I like to be able to separate the pony completely from the bracket easily after each dive for thorough cleaning and drying (OCD? :D ).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom