Scubapro Air2 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetracer

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought an used Scubapro Knighthawk w/Air2 BCD and it did not come with the inflator hose.

After doing some research I found out that the Air2 requires a proprietary QR connector.

There are a couple of way (that I know of as of now) to connect the Air2 to the regulator and I want to see what you guys think will work the best.

1) Get the cable with the Air2 QR connector and call it a day.

2) Get an adapter (like this one Converts Standard Hose to Scuba Pro Air 2 Quick Disconnect Connector | LeisurePro or this one XS Scuba "EZ" QD Adapter Scuba Pro Style | LeisurePro ) and then hook it up to either a rubber LP hose or a Miflex LP hose.

3)Get the Dive Alert (http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqudpv/dive-alert-plus-v2) model (DA Plus DV3) with the Air2 QR connector and then hook that up to the 1st stage using a regular LP hose.

Option 2 costs more but will give me the flexibility of using a more readily available LP hose in case of a hose failure (not sure realistically how often that will happen) during a trip. The downside that I can think of is this potentially will add one more point of failure (the QR adapter) to the system.

Option 3 costs the most but I gain the flexibility advantage as option 2 plus I get the Dive Alert's emergency alert function.

Am I over-thinking this? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I just bought an used Scubapro Knighthawk w/Air2 BCD and it did not come with the inflator hose.

After doing some research I found out that the Air2 requires a proprietary QR connector.

There are a couple of way (that I know of as of now) to connect the Air2 to the regulator and I want to see what you guys think will work the best.

1) Get the cable with the Air2 QR connector and call it a day.

2) Get an adapter (like this one Converts Standard Hose to Scuba Pro Air 2 Quick Disconnect Connector | LeisurePro or this one XS Scuba "EZ" QD Adapter Scuba Pro Style | LeisurePro ) and then hook it up to either a rubber LP hose or a Miflex LP hose.

Option 2 costs more but will give me the flexibility of using a more readily available LP hose in case of a hose failure (not sure realistically how often that will happen) during a trip. The downside that I can think of is this potentially will add one more point of failure (the QR adapter) to the system.

Am I over-thinking this? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Option 3: Air 2 Low Pressure Scuba Hose 28" | eBay

That makes sense since it's not just an inflator hose but it also supplies air for the Air2 ( a regulator )....I guess it's time to call up a local Scubapro dealer for an OEM hose.

Thanks!

First, please know that I am not trolling, I had
also bought an Air2 when i was first buying gear.
IMHO Go for option #4 :
Take this opportunity to relocate the Air2
to where it is best suited, as a paperweight.

Get an inflator and replace it.
I can never figure out how the Air2 went beyond
drawings on a napkin.
It seems like the problem to an answer.

They just have a lot of stuff to deal with
during an emergency, when you'll be using it.
And the thought of sharing air with anything as short as proper length hose.
And be trying to control accent from it at same time.

Absolutely not, I appreciate everyone who took the time to post a reply.

The Air2 seems interesting to me so I will give it a shot. My theory is that since I will most likely be diving solo, the short hose of the Air2 should (in theory) not be an issue but of course I won't know for sure until I try it out. I agree with you on that if I have to share air with a dive buddy in an emergency situation, the short Air2 hose will not be ideal.

I also plan on setting up a pony tank next to my HP100 for redundant air supply (next best thing to having a dive buddy?).

Thanks again for your reply.

First, please know that I am not trolling, I had
also bought an Air2 when i was first buying gear.
IMHO Go for option #4 :
Take this opportunity to relocate the Air2
to where it is best suited, as a paperweight.

Get an inflator and replace it.
I can never figure out how the Air2 went beyond
drawings on a napkin.
It seems like the problem to an answer.

They just have a lot of stuff to deal with
during an emergency, when you'll be using it.
And the thought of sharing air with anything as short as proper length hose.
And be trying to control accent from it at same time.

Jetracer, welcome to Scubaboard and be careful who you listen to. Some people have no idea what they are talking about. You do NOT pass the Air 2 to a buddy during an out of air emergency. You pass your primary reg (on an octo length hose) and you breath off the Air 2. The Air 2 was designed to solve the problem some divers have of stowing the octo. You know where the primary is (in your mouth) and with an Air 2 you know where your secondary is (on the inflator). The saving of the hose that dive stores always mentions is just a secondary benefit. Perhaps the newer ones breath better but the older ones (at least the ones that I used) were hard breathers. Although they are no worse than a cheap octo. The Air 2's primary purpose was to get you and your buddy to the surface in an out of air emergency.

Jetracer, welcome to Scubaboard and be careful who you listen to. Some people have no idea what they are talking about. You do NOT pass the Air 2 to a buddy during an out of air emergency. You pass your primary reg (on an octo length hose) and you breath off the Air 2. The Air 2 was designed to solve the problem some divers have of stowing the octo. You know where the primary is (in your mouth) and with an Air 2 you know where your secondary is (on the inflator). The saving of the hose that dive stores always mentions is just a secondary benefit. Perhaps the newer ones breath better but the older ones (at least the ones that I used) were hard breathers. Although they are no worse than a cheap octo. The Air 2's primary purpose was to get you and your buddy to the surface in an out of air emergency.

Thanks! I am learning a lot from reading all the post on all topics scuba.

I totally agree with you on the octo's sometimes getting in the way especially with all the kelp we have here in So.Cal. It is very easy to get totally tangled up with kelp. The other night I was in such thick kelp that I had kelp stuck on everything down to my fin straps.

Swapping regs and giving my primary reg to my buddy in case of emergency makes total sense and is exactly how I will be the Air2.

The Air2 unit I am getting is a 4th gen model and the Knighthawk BCD that it came on was made in 2008 so it is not that old. I hope a gen 4 Air2 had all the bugs worked out. I will compare the ease of breathing from it with my primary reg (S600) and see how much of a performance hit I'm taking with the Air2.

So what do you think I should do about getting a hose? Option 1?

I am going to give XS Scuba a call and see if they have additional information (the inside diameter) on their adaptor. If they do not have that information I might just have to buy one of those adaptor and then try it out with a LP hose myself.

Thanks again.

The reason they didn't use a standard inflator hose is because the hose and connector internal diameter is insufficient for the required airflow.

That makes sense since it's not just an inflator hose but it also supplies air for the Air2 ( a regulator )...

Makes a lot less sense if you ask yourself how a "standard" LP hose manages to deliver far more than sufficient sufficient airflow to your primary regulator to allow you to breath off of it (fully depress the purge on your reg to see how much gas it can deliver) but somehow the same hose isn't up to the task when connected to an Air2?

Things that make you go "Hmm..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom