Scubapro Air1 question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triggerman365

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I picked up a super nice MK5 that came with a very nice Air1. I am trying to decide between selling the Air1 or diving it. I often read of people that love their D series regs. How does an Air1 compare to the D350 or D400?

My air1s breathe a bit easier than the D series, I guess. In terms of cracking effort and air flow, they're very similar if well tuned. All of my air1s (I have four, I think) breathe a little wet when inverted. I bought three of them specifically for parts for my converted pilots, especially the very delicate diaphragms. Unfortunately, two of the three had torn diaphragms....grrrrr.

There's a bit of instability with the purge on the air1 and pilot IMO; it's possible to get a free flow started that is very difficult to stop. The diaphragm is also the exhaust valve, so it's not secured around the rim and can get folded up a bit. I've seen it happen. So I use the pilot/air1 in open water but the D300 on my cave rig.

If you've never used an air1 or a pilot, you're in for a treat. It's pretty different than a conventional 2nd stage IME.

Air 1 would breath a bit easier but it is less stable. It will breath wet when inverted and like halocline mentioned it can start flowing easy. For that reason I had to move my converted pilot from my tech set after I had to shutdown the post to stop the freeflow occured after I took it out of the mouth for inflating an SMB.
But they do breath very smooth and after using it and D series its hard to dive a typical barrel based regs as they seem to breath hard

The Air1 and pilot can produce a lot of venturi effect, maybe too much. I have one where the opening in the plastic was made a bit bigger and it can really get to flowing. I finally added a zip tie around the plastic cylinder to reduce the size of the opening. You do have to be careful handling them. Set it to pre-dive before you play/drill with it.

I bought my first pair of Air 1's in 1991 when Scubapro was selling out their stock at 1/2 price. I got the pair for the price of one D300. My wife and I moved our 109 and 108 to octopus use and have used the Air 1's ever since. They are extremely easy breathers.

They do breathe heavy and damp when fully inverted, but we don't do that often. I also had one instance of having a ripping side current cause damp breaths because the diaphragm serves as the exhaust valve and it is exposed from the side by the huge exhaust ports. I have never had an uncontrolled free flow nor failure of any kind.

My sons got certified at 10 and 12 and I bought used Air 1's for them. They have used them regularly for 8 years. The Air 1's breathe so easy that they would forget to change them from pre-dive to dive position when they first started diving. To them, the Air 1's pre-dive position breathed as well as the rental regulators they used in their dive classes.

I also have 3 D300's, a D350, and an early D400. Every one of the Air 1's breathe easier than the D-series regulators, not by a lot, but noticeably. All the D-series regulators breathe about the same. The Air 1's and the D-series use the same rebuild kits, so there is no difference in serviceability.

The only regulator I've used that breathes better is the Scubapro Pilot. I have several of them in good working order. In my opinion, they are incomparable, but I freely admit I haven't had occasion to use much except Scubapro for the last thirty five years or so. The Pilot is obviously not an option for almost anyone because they are nearly unobtainable and nearly impossible to service unless you do it yourself.

I purchase Air 1's when I see a particularly nice one or get good deals. I have a number of them now, certainly enough to last the rest of my life. You should get yours serviced and use it. It's as close to the Pilot as you are ever likely to get. You will love it.

Took my Air1 for a dive yesterday and it really is nice. Not ready to replace my 109s but it is an easy breather.

Back
Top Bottom