Scubapro 109 sharp edges inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shimbob

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I just picked up a 109 (one of several planned). While looking it over I notice that the metal tube onto which the mouthpiece fits seems to stick into the body and has some sharp edges. Some of these edges are also directly in the path of the airflow as it exits the groove of the barrel. Has anyone thought of using a dremel to grind these edges down and make the airflow less turbulent? Not unlike griding the ports of an engine's head to make it breath better. Looks like there's enough metal to grind away without affecting the welding. I'm probably nitpicking but curious if anyone's done it.

Picture of the edges:
IMG_20130610_193836.jpg

I really don't think that it will improve breathing nor do I think it is a good idea to grind off the chrome finish.

I'm sure it would be quite easy to grind off. But putting it back on if you are wrong would be a bitch. Mine are the same way and I see no reason to change it.

Ah, there is the "improvement" and a chance for them (SP) to come out with the 109V (oh, and charge an armload for it) :D

Went ahead with the dremel and here's the results. The edge of the mouth tube that was in the path of the airflow is now gone and its a smooth transition.
uploadfromtaptalk1371010676731.jpg
No doubt this is an issue of diminishing returns but I bet it will make a difference in my head and that's all that matters! :)

The perceived work of breathing is in many ways more important than an actual work of breathing. Therefore, if it makes you feel better, that is very important.

Note: The discussion of perceived WOB (Work of Breathing) is complex. But, lets just say that sensory perception is affected by many factors.
I have even had this discussion with researchers at the NEDU (Navy Experimental Diving Unit).

Went ahead with the dremel and here's the results. The edge of the mouth tube that was in the path of the airflow is now gone and its a smooth transition.

No doubt this is an issue of diminishing returns but I bet it will make a difference in my head and that's all that matters! :)

Plus, you got to use your dremel on something.:wink:

So you just put some racing stickers on your civic I see. Bet it goes fast now.

Back
Top Bottom