Scubapro 109 for deep diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do people think about the older SP 109 balanced adjustable for deep cold dives? I have used mine in quite a few dives over 100" and had it down to 180 in Lake Huron with no problems. Recently I saw my buddy have a free flow at 125 after working in current, cold water and air (39 & 45 degrees respectively), and it had me wondering about switching to Apeks or Poseidons. Any imput or experience with the 109s?
Jared

I only dive when the water temp is above 80°F...

But if we only concentrate on the second stages and if we look at this from a "marketing" point of view, AP makes a big deal out of their "heat exchanger", and it's just a few little fins added to the brass bolt. Now look at the 109 from this perspective: the whole reg is nothing but a gigantic heat exchanger. So if the water is liquid, there's a greater chance that it'll stay liquid inside of a 109 than anything else that's not full metal.

Of course, there're other factors.

A 109 should work for any diving at any depth.

I dove mine for several years here in Alaska. I don't have a detailed enough log book, but there were probably 200 or so dives to the 60 foot depth and as may as 75 0r 80 dives to depths in the 90 - 110 foot range. That's just going by the dates, sorry, that's the best I can do.

Mine 109 was never used in ice, but it was used in water temps in the low 40's and it never free flowed.

Good luck and enjoy the reg: 109's are one of the high-point designs IMHO.

Save your money. You will not find a better regulator.

I think you should buy new, and send me those old awful regs!:D

But seriously - I use 109/156 seconds almost exclusively. Thermocline here usually results in sub-40 degree water (below 80'). Never a problem. I have them matched them with MK-10s and also recently MK-17s. I have watched other "latest & greatest" regs act up here, and see no reason to "upgrade".

Note: I have acquired a few G250V models, but still favor the durability of the all brass case.

What do people think about the older SP 109 balanced adjustable for deep cold dives? I have used mine in quite a few dives over 100" and had it down to 180 in Lake Huron with no problems. Recently I saw my buddy have a free flow at 125 after working in current, cold water and air (39 & 45 degrees respectively), and it had me wondering about switching to Apeks or Poseidons. Any imput or experience with the 109s?
Jared

Was your buddy using a 109, and if so, what first stage? I'd be shocked if the 2nd stage froze, you really can't get better heat exchange than the 109. Maybe about the only thing more freeze resistant would be a double hose.

If your buddy was using a MK5 or 10, have him try packing the ambient chamber with silicone or PTFE grease. That should help.

I don't think the depth matters at all, except of course there's more air flowing through the 1st stage, so more cooling. But in terms of handling depth, the 109 should be exactly like any other high performance 2nd stage, perfectly adequate. We tend to overlook the fact that a few decades ago, divers were routinely doing extreme dives with regulators that many current OW students wouldn't want to use in a pool, like single stage double hosers.

The experts will correct me if Im wrong but 109 being unbalanced will freeflow at depth if paired up with one of the overbalanced first stages like mK17 an apeks or zeagle and tuned sensitively at the surface.

But in any case a single fact of freeflow might not mean anything. I saw Apekses and Poseidons freeflowing but S600 on mk20 working perfectly on the same dive. Its easy to freeflow the reg by not carefully handling it predive. A drop of water gets on the filter while switching the tanks and the first stage will likely freeze.

We used a MK 17 as the first stage. His was yoke, mine was DIN not that I thought it mattered much.

The experts will correct me if Im wrong but 109 being unbalanced will freeflow at depth if paired up with one of the overbalanced first stages like mK17 an apeks or zeagle and tuned sensitively at the surface.

I don't think the MK17 has the same 'overbalanced' feature that some other sealed diaphragms have. Overbalanced is not really the right term, those regs are actually 'over-depth-compensating" in that they increase IP above changes in ambient pressure. It is true that unbalanced downstream 2nds will be more susceptible to free flow as the IP increases, but I'm not sure how much of an IP change actually occurs. Even balanced 2nds have some downstream bias, usually quite a bit, so with enough of an IP rise they'd flow too.

I never heard of the MK17 having that feature, but the MK25 is sometimes called 'overbalanced' and in that case, it is a more accurate term. There's a slight flare at the bottom of the piston shaft (supposedly, I never noticed it) which allows IP to theoretically rise as tank pressure falls. But, I never noticed a MK25 (or MK20 with the composite piston) having higher IP at 300PSI than with a full tank. Probably the friction decrease at the HP o-ring with lower tank pressure offsets any change in downstream bias caused by the flare.

---------- Post added ----------

We used a MK 17 as the first stage. His was yoke, mine was DIN not that I thought it mattered much.

I would really think that a MK17 1st stage with a 109 2nd would be about as freeze resistant a set up as you can find. I have noticed, though, that if I set my 109s (well, actually balanced/adjustables) too lightly, they're pretty sensitive to case fault geometry flows, and that flow has occurred at some depth, which is counterintuitive. Case fault geometry is basically the difference in relative depth between the diaphragm and exhaust valve; if the pressure differences are enough, exhaust valve will essentially open at a pressure low enough to not allow enough pressure to stay in the reg body to keep the diaphragm from collapsing a bit and opening the lever. Since pressure differences between a set distance (about an inch in this case) are greatest at shallow depths, you'd expect this to happen shallow, but not deep. My guess is that with increased flow at greater depth, there's an increase in venturi effect and that's what causes the slight flow. That's a guess, though.

I've also found, unlike a few of the other fans of the 109 on this forum, that mine are a little more stable converted to balanced/adjustable, and overall seem to hold a tune better. It could be something as simple as the conversion process results in a new spring, which might be more consistent. I'd be interested in trying a 109 with a new unbalanced spring. Anyhow, if your friend is having some flow problems with the 109, it's worth trying to convert it with the s-wing poppet and G250 spring. And make sure it gets set to 1" or higher cracking effort, and maybe even try a slight turn on the breathing adjustment at depth.

I don't think the MK17 has the same 'overbalanced' feature that some other sealed diaphragms have. Overbalanced is not really the right term, those regs are actually 'over-depth-compensating" in that they increase IP above changes in ambient pressure. It is true that unbalanced downstream 2nds will be more susceptible to free flow as the IP increases, but I'm not sure how much of an IP change actually occurs. Even balanced 2nds have some downstream bias, usually quite a bit, so with enough of an IP rise they'd flow too.

I never heard of the MK17 having that feature, but the MK25 is sometimes called 'overbalanced' and in that case, it is a more accurate term. There's a slight flare at the bottom of the piston shaft (supposedly, I never noticed it) which allows IP to theoretically rise as tank pressure falls. But, I never noticed a MK25 (or MK20 with the composite piston) having higher IP at 300PSI than with a full tank. Probably the friction decrease at the HP o-ring with lower tank pressure offsets any change in downstream bias caused by the flare.

halocline, I agree with you that what they use for overbalancing is a poor term. I've been digging around the inet to see the numbers for MK17. Many places say it's over-balaced (overcompensating) but they do not say by how much. May be DA Aquamaster has any details.

About an Apeks I was finding numbers that it's over compesating by ~25psi at 160 ft which is imho quite a lot. Probably not enough to cause a balanced apeks stage to freeflow, I once measured and my ATX50 free flowed at about 190-200psi

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom