Scubamax Regs are like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogpaddler

Reaction score
Scubamax uses the same manufacturer as DiveRite? and the other company? Anyone use Scubamax regs with good success. Those prices are great. Thanks

I'm looking to purchase a reg set up. Mostly warm vacation diving, but I'm thinking about diving in the North East where I live more and more. Where the water is cold. I don't have an unlimited budget, midrange would be ideal.

Hi DP!

Do I hear an oncoming "Buy an Apeks!"??

Bob3 (here on ScubaBoard) is a ScubaMax dealer in California. I bought a ScubaMax kid's wetsuit from him last year for our daughter, and an OT-8000 octopus for my son.

Bob's familiar with the ScubaMax line, and I asked him about the regulators then. The equipment is made in China, whatever significance that might have. Bob said the machining and finishing appears a little rough in non-critical areas, but other than that it's fine. I think he said it looked like the regs all take pretty much standard or generic service kits.

What can you say about an octopus? It worked fine in shallow water (~40 ft); not sure whether I'd want it on a 100-ft dive. Its design isn't horribly sophisticated, with like exposed phillips-head screws holding the casing together. It's not going to have folks ooh-ing and aah-ing on the dive boat. But for the price...

I don't think ScubaMax offers anything like a cold-water regulator.

Oh, the wetsuit was perfectly fine too.

You might want to drop Bob3 a PM?

--Marek

I use Scubamax regs. I have a regular set and a set for my doubles. I have had them down to 120' in Lake Michigan in temps in the low 40's and last weekend was at the quarry, 45' and 38 degrees with no problems ever. I love them.

Joe

Thanks for the replies. I would love to buy an Apex, BUT I look at the apex with the same feelings I have when I walk past a Mercedes Benz dealership. I'd love one but I know I probably couldnt afford it! lol Whats their least expensive reg anyway? The scubamax looks good for the money, the design looked really familiar, similar to some well recommended regs. Oh yeah Marek, The Cratos uses the Poseiden inflator( from the other thread if u dont remember)

dogpaddler:
I would love to buy an Apex, BUT I look at the apex with the same feelings I have when I walk past a Mercedes Benz dealership. I'd love one but I know I probably couldnt afford it! lol Whats their least expensive reg anyway?

T20 or AT20. The Apeks DST/AT20 is actually a very nice warm water first/second stage combo.

Marek K:
The equipment is made in China, whatever significance that might have.

The Scubamax and DR regs are made in the exact same factory. I have two DRs on my doubles and a Scubamax on my stage. I put a green DR faceplate on the SM 2nd stage and you can't tell the difference. Internally they are the same reg.

Of course Scubamax makes recreational kit, if you want the 300 Bar DIN fitting you have to order it from Dive Rite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom