ScubaMax Dive Coat/Parka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen this ScubaMax dive coat at my LDS. Upon examination of the nylon fabric and the fleece, I reckon it's about the same as the el cheapo sold in Sport Chalet.

I suppose if you're tight with the money, it will do. But if you can afford better, then go with the TrueWest or JMJ dive parkas. The nylon is a lot thicker and tougher, more waterproof, and the fleece is also thicker and warmer.

I get sea sick easily so I always stay outside at the fantail or the upperdeck. One particularly nasty day had the boat plowing through every stinking wave on the way back from Catalina and with the JMJ parka, I was warm and dry. Another day that wasn't quite as bad, I had the Sport Chalet one and that parka began to leak through.

fnfalman, thanks for your review.. It is a big help. :)

I haven't seen it with my own eyes, so I would like to get some info before going further.

My wife and I have TruWest's "orginal heavy duty waterproof" swim parkas - I can't say anything bad about them.

Check the specials/closeout section on their (TruWest's) website, I bought ours just before Xmas last year for less than $60 each (regular price $113 each). While we didn't have a huge choice in colors, the price more than made up for it (FTR, she got royal blue with navy fleece, I got black with black - no special logos or embroidery).

The parkas were invaluable on our January CZM trip for surface interval/boat rides and during the couple of cold rainy days we had.

I think that the TrueWest is the best, even better than the JMJ. I have examined them side by side and the outer nylon shell is about the same as far as thickness goes, but the TrueWest's fleece liner is soft, thick and billowy. I have no doubt that it is warmer than the fleece in the JMJ (very nice in its own rights). If I didn't already have two parkas, I would have ordered a TrueWest as well. Heck, I might do it just for the fun of it. One could never have too many dive parkas. Hehe.

FYI, In the meantime, I have contacted truWest. Their current closed out item isn't as same as a regular swim parka. It is made of their old material, waterproof nylon.

It seems that truWest is way to go...

Thanks,

My ONLY complaint with my TruWest is that it's so damned heavy.

But that's why it's so darned warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom