ScubaL = cheap and disproportionate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDW-NC:
After a lot of recommendations on this site, I have now ordered a 2XL Bare Velocity 7mm full-suit (no hood) from LeisurePro.com for $204 with free shipping...hope to have a better experience with that order!

Some people are gluttons for punishment...

Dissatisfied with ScubaL's customer service you turned to...LeisurePro?!?!?! They have the worst return policy on Earth (see this board for the post by a woman who got a BC with holes punched in it that they wouldn't exchange). With them, you're lucky if you get this year's model and all in one piece. You sure as heck don't get customer service or a warranty because they are not authorized dealers and deal grey market goods and are not divers.

ScubaToys would have matched the price on the Bare. What do people not understand about that?? Then you'd have a great dive shop to back up your purchase. Heck, I betcha Larry would have sent you several sizes to try on and choose from (as he has done for me and others on this board)...Bare has a lot of off the rack sizes.

I always wear my hooded vest over the wetsuit. It works much better that way.

As far as ScubaL's wetsuits, I agree on the quality issues. Personally, I fit well in a stock xl, and I'm not a round guy. My complaints are more that you don't get features like seals that you do with a better wetsuit (understandably). The zippers really suck. They come undone and break very easily and don't stay zipped at all, though Triple-L has replaced a suit for me when the zipper broke. Of course, my brother's zipper just broke this past weekend, so it's not a rare thing. All in all, you get a lot of water flowthrough on these suits.

The conclusion I have come to is that wetsuits are not a place to economize if you dive cold water. The quality of your exposure protection has more to do with enjoyment of the dive than any other piece of equipment.

As far as their BCs, I think they are good value for the money. They are definitely tough, and I would have to see one falling apart at the seams to believe it. These are REALLY tough BCs (I dive an Orion). They are not as nice as the Zeagles they are trying to clone (in minor features, fit and finish, warranty, etc), but they are less than half the price. So, take your pick. If I had the money and were serious about diving, I'd get a Zeagle. If I were just getting my feet wet or buying a BC for a growing kid or something, Triple-L. The Orion was a good first BC for me, and has served me well. It's now becoming a backup for my new BP/W :D

I have watched out their price increase. It is amazing that they charge about $200 for 7mm hooded jump suit even though it is a hyperstrech material. I bought 7mm hooded suit and BC for $240 last year.:D It is OK product for that price, but I don't think their suit is worth for $200 yet. I had better get Henderson suit with that price.

Recently, I find out there is a blemish on the BC. It isn't a major though. She has used the BC only in the local quarry, not in the swimming pool at all.....

She finally moved to BP/W (that is all my money:06: ). We just keep it for one occasion.

ScubaL = cheap and disproportionate ????

I don't understand the "disproportionate" part of your description. You paid 1/3 for some items, and they were not very good quality.

Glad you have a good attitude, I just don't see the disproportionate part.

However, thanks for sharing. Lots of people can learn from your experience.

Wristshot

I have a 3mm shorty, and a full 7mm no hood. Quality is fine. I have a 3/5 from another company, and will it is a higher quality, it cost more than the other two combined, and it's not twice as good.

If you are an odd size, then no standard wetsuit is going to fit well.

BTW, I dove/dive their Orion BC, over 50 dives, thing looks band new.

If you get them on their chat, they are quite helpful. Because they are in Vietnam, their hours can be a bit weird, but people buy ScubaL because it's cheap, not because it's the best made item in the World.

I still use their weightbelt.

Back
Top Bottom