ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You be fine, they moved fast last time we did this trip and took only 1/2 hour to get thru customs and back on our connection
I don't know about that. When we came thru Miami coming back from Roatan last month, from the time we touched down we had 3 hours to get to our next flight. Easy, right? We barely made it. They were making last call for our flight and actually holding the plane for the two of us. We didn't even have time to get anything to eat. I had heard horror stories about MIA but this was the first time I had actually experienced it. Ask me about it when we get to Bonaire. It's too much to type out here.

Ok, so I'm a total newbie in the group-dive-travel space here, and I"m not sure if this is the *right* space to ask questions? (if not, move it/delete it, all good), but I didn't find a general questions area.

I've been comparing other (local dive-shop/group) deals and SB rules the roost on deals to decent locations, and the thought of racking up 20+ dives per week (in a nice locale) for ~$136/tank has me intrigued (I've been crunching numbers lol - but I did forget truck rental), but I have some questions:

As a "single" diver/traveller (wife won't dive..) do we just get paired up with another random person from the trip in our room?

I mean in all reality I just need a place to sleep/shower/rinse/store my gear...

But what if my roommate and I don't gel/get along?

I mean I try not to be an ass, but what if they hate the sound of my CPAP -- sorry, it's the only way I get good sleep for the past 15 years :sleeping: -- even my wife complains sometimes (and hell, she loves me).

Or maybe *they* snore like a freight train?

Or maybe they have a particular political view they want to go on-and-on-and-on about and I'm just not feeling it?

Whatever the particular case is... what happens then? I mean we're all adults and, yes, there's a certain amount of "suck it up and deal with it" we can do.. but it's also supposed to be a vacation, ya know?

Am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill and we won't be anywhere near our rooms long enough to notice (or too tired to care), or should I just add the single-occupancy fee into my calculations for the next Surge/Invasion, lol.
I am a single diver, too. I've always shared rooms when I've traveled with my LDS, liveaboards, and invasions. I would say only about 10% of the time am I buddied up with my roommate. Actually, I prefer not to be auto-paired, just like you're saying, what if our personality or skill level doesn't quite jive, at least we have a break from each other. What would be nice is a signup sheet for single divers to join together to find a dive buddy. Some may want to match skill level, age, same or opposite sex. That's what's nice about the Welcome Party. You get a chance to meet other single divers, too.

Ok, so I'm a total newbie in the group-dive-travel space here, and I"m not sure if this is the *right* space to ask questions? (if not, move it/delete it, all good), but I didn't find a general questions area.

I've been comparing other (local dive-shop/group) deals and SB rules the roost on deals to decent locations, and the thought of racking up 20+ dives per week (in a nice locale) for ~$136/tank has me intrigued (I've been crunching numbers lol - but I did forget truck rental), but I have some questions:
ScubaBoard Events Always has the best deals anywhere
As a "single" diver/traveller (wife won't dive..) do we just get paired up with another random person from the trip in our room?
ScubaBoard Never pairs roommates, that is something Crew Members workout on their own.
I mean in all reality I just need a place to sleep/shower/rinse/store my gear...

I mean I try not to be an ass, but what if they hate the sound of my CPAP -- sorry, it's the only way I get good sleep for the past 15 years :sleeping: -- even my wife complains sometimes (and hell, she loves me).

Or maybe they have a particular political view they want to go on-and-on-and-on about and I'm just not feeling it?

Whatever the particular case is... what happens then? I mean we're all adults and, yes, there's a certain amount of "suck it up and deal with it" we can do.. but it's also supposed to be a vacation, ya know?
All good things to think about when picking a roommate and stuff I think you should talk about ahead of time,
Am I making a mountain out of a mole-hill and we won't be anywhere near our rooms long enough to notice (or too tired to care), or should I just add the single-occupancy fee into my calculations for the next Surge/Invasion, lol.
Bonaire has unlimited shore diving so how much time you spend in your room is up to you and your dive computer.

Don't overthink it. People are there to dive and relax. You're probably gonna spend 3 hours a day in your room, other than sleeping, and most of that time will be showering, changing, taking a dump and brushing your teeth. If you don't jive with your roommate, hang out with other people. Actually, hang out with a bunch of different people anyway and make friends for future trips. And leave the politics at home. You're there to have fun :cool:

Any chance of seeing the ostracod spawning? That was one of the coolest things on my Bonaire trip in early 2020. It's my understanding that the best night for this is 5 days after the full moon, but the dates for this trip are just before the full moon

Someone above mentioned “Don't overthink it.” That is correct.

I am so tired on vacation that I sleep so much better.
There will be tons of folks to shore dive right there steps from the dining area.
Everyone is so friendly; choose a different dinner table every night and meet folks.
CPAP is a beautiful white noise machine. It is actually helpful to block out noisy folks who stay up late and are loud.

You will have a fantastic time!

Unlimited shore diving and
Premium drink package included
Enough Said
ENJOY
Also, island bartenders have a competition on who makes the best cocktail confectionery. Just ask the bartender for their special cocktail or competing drink.

Unlimited shore diving and
Premium drink package included
Enough Said
ENJOY
@cardzard other than 18th Palm Reef, what other shore sites are accessible or reachable from the resort?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom