ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2023 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So would you choose the hillside or the"key" if you had the choice?vIn your opinion would it just be a matter of the surroundings or scenery? Thanks.
The Key. Most (all?) have their own veranda over the sea grass and you get to watch critters all the time.

Had my cervical laminoplasty Monday, and all went well, so I should be recuperated in plenty of time for the Roatan Invasion! Maybe I'll even be able to walk with gear on this time... ha!
Can't wait to get back into the water...
Hopefully the surgery results will be even better than what you described as the 'best case scenario' outcome.

Currently is the restaurant on the hill the only place to eat breakfast, lunch & dinner?
Yeah, as someone who is leg challenged, I was able to manage with a bit of patience.

AKR is also one of our favorite places and we've been three times. The only place we've been to more is Cozumel. I'll try to add some details not yet covered but you already should have enough info to know this one is a no-brainer.

We've stayed both on the hill and the key and we actually prefer the hill. Of course, that's when the restaurant and main bar were on the hill. We found we did about the same amount of climbing steps and a lot less walking when staying on the hill. You also have much less issues with the sand fleas. And of course, it costs less. I predict the hill rooms will sell out on day 1.

No drink packages but you pay for your bar tabs - as well as souvenir shop and any other extra charges - by giving your room number and signing a slip then settle up all at once at checkout. They will have all your signed slips at checkout so no worries about the accuracy of the grand total. Prices may have increased - haven't they everywhere? - but local beers used to be $3 and drinks $5-6. In that sense, it's like a "package" it's just that the package price will be based on your consumption.

We found the pool to be our gathering place for late afternoons but the pool bar closes at 6pm so the main bar on the hill was our gathering place in the evening. Pro tip. Pool bar has happy hour 2x1 every other night. They skip it on Tue/Thurs when they do night dives for some reason, lol. They will be happy to sell you beers unopened so just before we would leave we would often get a six pack to take back to our room to enjoy later on our porch.

Tips are typically paid upon checkout. They will have envelopes that you can mark for different groups like dive team, housekeeping, servers, and back house. Of course, you're welcome to tip specific staff at any time. The staff are super friendly and this isn't just a McJob to them. In our visits ranging over 5 years we saw pretty much the same staff each year. You'll get to know some of their names.

You'll be greeted at the airport, your bags whisked off on a truck and you'll get into a shuttle van. Next time you see your bags will be at your room. At the resort you'll gather in a reception room for orientation, paperwork, room assignment. After that you'll probably want to get lunch and maybe get down to the dock to get your dive locker and weights. It might be a few hours before you actually go to your room. So if there is anything you need from your bags, get them out at the airport.

We are avid shore divers and sometimes make 10-hour trips to Florida just to shore dive. We did the AKR shore dive once, on our first visit. It's not a bad dive. The logistics and times just aren't convenient. Boat dives are so much easier and after we did all the scheduled boat dives we were worn out and ready to relax.

The first dive briefing Sunday morning is lengthy and critical. Get there early and pay attention. Even if you aren't diving that morning. It covers everything you need to know for the week. Miss it and you might be out of sorts for the week, missing dives because you didn't know when and where to sign up, getting corrected for doing things the wrong way, and always having to ask questions that were already answered. And the staff will still love you anyways.

Do any resorts, including this one, have restrictions on primary donate hose setups due to COVID?

I can't find info on how it works for signing up as a single diver.
Someone referenced having to pay for two people (even as a single) and then looking and hoping for a roommate to share the costs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom