ScubaBoard divers age group

Diver survey ... which age group are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn ... the 30 to 39ers just hit 100 ... come on you older divers lets show those younguns

The 50 somethings are all busy babysitting the 30 something's kids while they dive and play on scuba board:eyebrow:

I'm 23, started at 18. I was lucky to have my dad get into scuba with me so that helped with some trips and gear. I just learned to accumulate gear over time (taking advantage of birthdays and xmas) and only buying things after a lot of research, so while it didn't help my savings I don't think affording diving as a student was too hard. I always had at least a part time job. The OW scuba program at UNC is thriving, it's a semester-long PE class with check out dives in Key Largo, and it's filled up fast for years now. They have deals set up with several LDS which is mutually beneficial.

I'm currently 18 but I started when I was 15. My Dad got certified in college (long ago) and got recerted with me

Yeah, I've made myself the same question before posting it... But then I remembered that people keep telling me that "I'm not getting any younger". :D

hmm ... do you know anyone that does get younger except in their dreams? :D

I have a friend that dives/speafish's with me on a regular basis who is 83 and still holds his padi instructors cert. and still instructs on occasion. Up until last year he always did 2 dives spearing with me but now he is down to 1 dive per trip, he claims its not worth 2 dives unless the fish are big enough. Hopefully I will be able to dive as long as him or as long as I can still breath.

I have a friend that dives/speafish's with me on a regular basis who is 83 and still holds his padi instructors cert. and still instructs on occasion. Up until last year he always did 2 dives spearing with me but now he is down to 1 dive per trip, he claims its not worth 2 dives unless the fish are big enough. Hopefully I will be able to dive as long as him or as long as I can still breath.

:DHey you need to introduce him to SB so he can vote for his age group and I bet he has heaps of stories.... you really shouldn't keep a wealth of knowledge like him to yourself you know!:blinking:

It's interesting to see that many of the under 30 group had dad's who needed a buddy. I know my son is in this category and he could in no way afford diving if it weren't for his dad.

To me the cost is insignificant. I get to and have spent some fantastic quality time with my son during our ten years of diving.

I used to go on dive boats with my dad when I was a kid Between age 5-10. He however, stopped diving because of family and especially work. At that time I was very interested in taking up the sport when I would be old enough to get certified, but when I was old enough, he was not diving anymore. I took up golf (another expensive sport) when I was 14 and played on the high school golf team. When I went to college, I stopped playing golf competitively. I ended up getting a decent paying job in my Senior year of college which provided me money to do things that I could not do before. I was lucky that I was still living at home and not paying a lot of expenses including rent. I decided to take up SCUBA and get certified at 23 and bought my dive gear later in the same year. I also got to go diving in Hawaii and the Carribean within a year. I am now almost 28 years old and have logged almost 85 dives. I am hoping that I am still doing this sport when I am 70.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom