Suggestion ScubaBoard Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mrvollmer

mrvollmer

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are several online and software applications out there for managing your Dive Log.
Macdive, DiveLog, mydivebook.com, etc...

However, in my opinion, they just haven't hit the mark in terms of usability, or content, nor have gained wide acceptance.

I believe that this forum (ScubaBoard) is uniquely positioned to create the ultimate Scuba Diver "Dive Log". After all, this is the place that we "divers" hang out most when not under water.

A good example of the type of online "Dive log" ScubaBoard should create is www.cellartracker.com. (now, I know it is a wine site, but the concept is sound, it is easy to use, and allows the sharing of information)

I think on online "Dive log" should be dive site driven (just as in cellartracker it is about the wine). A divers log would consist of a collection of dive sites with attributes (# of dives at that site, details, profiles, etc.) The diver can add their review of the dive site for others to see.

I will add additional thoughts, once I start getting some feedback.

What are your thoughts?

El O.there is a new project for you.:D

vBulletin is a PHP based software I believe... meaning it could be custom created and it should integrate seemlessly.

Before we get to the Make or Buy decision, we first need to see how widespread the support is for this initiative.

Also, we'll need a clear list of the desired functionality, just a link won't do.

We have had a blog before, it wasn't widely used.

I am not a big fan of the paper based dive logs, as I would like to have more tools to analyze my dives and paper doesn't really lend to that being easily done. So, getting the dives onto (into) the computer would be important to me.

The concept of creating a dive site database, that divers can add to their dive logs I find interesting since I haven't really found a good web resource that catalogs the (thousands) of dive-able sites out there. I am a cellartracker user, and I see the vast amount of wines analogous to the vast number of dive sites.

Basically we would maintain Dive Site info (As Master data), and each diver would maintain dive specific info (Personal Data) with the ability to share none, all or some of their attributes of their dive (date, time, temp, depth, time, etc...)

The result could create some interesting analytics both personally, as well as for the dive community.

Back
Top Bottom