ScubaBoard Censorship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktomlinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone else think it is BS that a Force Fin pricing question was removed at the request of the Force Fin manufacturer just because we were discussing why they cost so much? Everyone was being objective in their discussions, yet I wake up this morning and the thread is gone! Is this how ScubaBoard normally works or does Force Fin get to dictate SB policy because they donate money?

It depends on what forum. If it was in Force Fins forum the mods of that forum have the power to remove threads, posts, etc. They are not necessarily the SB mods. Manufacturers can remove threads that they deem damaging to their product or product line. But I agree if discussing price is an issue maybe the prices need to be looked at. I'd personally never pay that much for fins but saying so is just me. Does not slam the product. Just makes me cheap!

Yup ... if it was in the appropriate forum I doubt it would have been removed ... but the manufacturer's forums are not that place. There's a forum in in the equipment section specifically for fins, masks and snorkels. That's the place to ask.

Manufacturers have the right to control what information goes in their own forums ... and topics they consider damaging to their business will be removed.

Although in this case, it would've been interesting to see the answer. Perhaps you should repost in the appropriate forum and see if they provide it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for schooling me :) it was in the force fins forum so I understand now that it wasn't scubaboard that deleted it. I wasn't the op on that thread, the question was about pricing and the manufacturer said they wouldn't discuss pricing and to remove the post. I sort of thought that there is no shame in discussing pricing, unless there is.

It seems like if you are promoting a product and trying to sell it, price would be part of the package. Revolving posters are fine to keep the thread active but not providing a price for your product when requested seems counterproductive. Maybe it's like yachts, if you have to ask you can't afford it.

Actually I both started and then later removed the thread at the manufacturer's request as it's their policy not to discuss pricing. The question was not about the price of their fins but rather why they cost more than most other fins. I was hoping to get some rationale for my nephew - a new diver who asked the question after seeing his instructor using a pair and saw the price on their website.

Last edited:
I love Scubaboard but I was also disappointed when the thread discussing UTD now selling tec gear with their training agency label attached was effectively killed by moving to the Whine & Cheese forum. This subject is still front and center on virtually every other diving forum. Censorship on SB does seem to be on the rise lately...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/whine-cheeze/325390-you-stroke-if.html

It depends on what forum. If it was in Force Fins forum the mods of that forum have the power to remove threads, posts, etc. They are not necessarily the SB mods. Manufacturers can remove threads that they deem damaging to their product or product line. But I agree if discussing price is an issue maybe the prices need to be looked at. I'd personally never pay that much for fins but saying so is just me. Does not slam the product. Just makes me cheap!

Can remove or request to have removed? Thanks!

I think people have to keep in mind that ScubaBoard is a private entity, controlled by it Terms of Service which every member agreed to when they created their account. Despite what many people think, ScubaBoard is NOT subject to the First Amendment when it comes to member having any kind of "right" to post their thoughts.

ScubaBoard does what they feel, in their own opinion, is best for them and their members. As it is with any private organization. It is just they way it is and members have a few options: deal with it, complain about it through the proper channels, or leave. It really is that simple. You can always leave and start your own forum that conforms to your opinions.

I love Scubaboard but I was also disappointed when the thread discussing UTD now selling tec gear with their training agency label attached was effectively killed by moving to the Whine & Cheese forum. This subject is still front and center on virtually every other diving forum. Censorship on SB does seem to be on the rise lately...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/whine-cheeze/325390-you-stroke-if.html
Apparently not according to NWG's post in that thread:

There is no information in the OP. It's just a retarded post.
It's the same retarded post that was removed from The Dive Matrix, in fact.
Isn't Dive Matrix a proponent of UTD diving?

Can remove or request to have removed? Thanks!
Both. Some manufacturers representatives on SB are not aware that they can remove posts in their specific forum so they ask us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom