Scuba Vaccinations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jen,
Dee & I just go to the Vet out here, they are much more plentiful than Doctors go to school just as long and they are cheaper also.
Also, think about it Vets can work on many type of animals, but Doctors can only work on one kind. So who is better trained.
But the waiting room is a lot noisier and smells worse.

Now I've gone and made the Doctors mad, better post a disclaimer.

Discaimer: I am in now way shape or form condoning the use of Vets to take the place of Medical Doctors in human health issues or treatment. This post is purely in fun, so don't do anything stupid, like believe it.

Kinda takes all the fun out of it.

Don & his 37 friends.

I second Doc V's recommendation. I generally check the CDC recommendations for an area and follow them, with somewhat of a fudge factor if I'm going to be well away from the boonies,etc
Hepatitis A can be readily transmitted by contaminated drinking water. Not every dive destination has optimal sewage treatment, and the marine heads on small boats can discharge sewage just like the cruise ships. I thought enough of the Hep A vaccine to get it for myself and my wife. We all have to decide what risks we want to accept, but if both Doc V and I have done it,(and I know some other diving docs that have) it's certainly worth considering.
Dive safe and well,
John Reinertson

AllenP.......I didn't take it personnal and wasn't offended in any way by what you said. I was just throwing it back at you. I actually thought it was funny and ironic. :)

DocV and John.......Thanks for the info, I'll definately check the CDC website before travel abroad in the future. I just hope the shots aren't as bad as the tetanus one. My arm is so soar I can barely move it and that's odd since I never knew when the nurse gave me the shot.

Ah yes, how could I forget those illustrious trips down to Honduras, and those nasty nasty pills ...

There is nothing like the preventive measures making you sicker than the problem ... well, not really as I wouldn't really know since I have never gotten malaria, but even if malaria is only a little worse that those pills then all the yellow fingernails and tossed lunches were worth it!

My military travels had me all over and they were always looking to stick me with this and make me swallow that but what I was wondering is ... Do any of these "preventive meds" have any reported cases of having a negative effect on divers? I say "divers" because of the special concerns divers have on any dive, especially when mixing meds into the equation.

=-)

The one that was discussed at the dive medicine conferences I attended was Lariam, which is used for prevention of chloroquine-resistant malaria. This one apparently caused enough dizziness/drowsiness to be a problem. It is only needed in a few areas. There is now a new drug, Malarone, which is reportedly much better tolerated and similar benefit.
It's worth knowing also that doxycycline (Sometimes used for Montezuma's revenge) can cause sun sensitivity, as in really bad tropical sunburns. Any medicine can have side effects and your doctor or pharmacist can advise you about the most likely ones.
Dive safe and be well.
John Reinertson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom