Scuba Tank Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrdwn73

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question about Scuba Tank storage in adverse weather conditions. I am Rescue Diver here in NE Wisconsin and my team recently acquired an enclosed trailer to haul our equipment around. In the Summer time we can open up some roof vents to allow hot air to escape. In the Winter time the trailer will be stored outdoors. We would like to store the tanks inside the trailer. My question is can we store scuba tanks in the trailer during below freezing tempatures?

The short answer is yes, there’s no problem storing cylinders at or below freezing.

However, during winder ops, this will increase the probability of free flows during a dive on cold days. Because the air starts out cold then is further cooled by adiabatic cooling as its pressure drops, it becomes quite likely that your regulator may freeze up.

A lesser issue is that if you’re breathing cold air, further cooled by the pressure drop, your body’s core will cool faster and you’ll get chilled faster.

So balance the convenience of keeping the cylinders in the trailer versus the problems this may cause.

You also might be able to get some input from the PSD forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/public-safety-divers/

Roak

I should add that it only takes 5 minutes, maybe 10 max so for a steel cylinder to reach temperature equilibrium with the surrounding water. So you can mitigate very cold air by putting your rig in the water to warm (to simplify, water is guaranteed to be at 32 degrees or above, right? :)) before you dive.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom