Scuba tank size and buoyancy calculator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I"ll look at this more carefully when I get home, but the most important number is the empty buoyancy, usually given with valve, because that will determine how much lead to add/subtract when you change tanks. I would suggest you start with this number taken from tables and derive the others.

I would suggest you start with this number taken from tables and derive the others.

Sounds like a bad idea, since we've already found errors in XS Scubas tables, and don't know how they calculate the bouyancy.

I've added a checkbox for the weight of valves, that might help. (And I added a checkbox for doubles while I was at it)

Last edited:
For the HP80 there's a huge discrepancy that needs to be resolved. Both the XS Scuba and Divegearexpress
X-Series Steel SCUBA Tanks by Worthington Cylinders - Dive Gear Express

list the empty buoyancy as -3 lbs and the calculator gives -8.2 lbs with valve in seawater. I may just test my tank by dipping it in the pool.

Here are my measurements of full tanks, with valve and plastic dustcap of XS Scuba as weighed with a luggage scale.

tank, wt, buoyancy in freshwater all in lbs
HP100, 42.2, -10.8
HP80 39.2, -11.3

your calculator gives -11.6 lbs for the buoyancy of the 100 and -15 lbs for the 80.
table gives -10 and -9 lbs in salt water

Perhaps someone else can check their tanks with a luggage scale.

Did you ever get a reply from XS Scuba about their tables?

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for weighing your tanks!

What's the empty weight of the tanks, as stamped on the tank neck?

XSscuba is still investigating, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for weighing your tanks!

What's the empty weight of the tanks, as stamped on the tank neck?

XSscuba is still investigating, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hello Henrik,

It appears that the Worthington tanks do not have the weight stamped

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...worthington-steel-tank-markings-x7-100-a.html

I verified this by calling XS Scuba. The numbers they give me for empty wt in lbs no valve are:
33 for the HP100
30 for the HP80

Adam

Hello Henrik,
I verified this by calling XS Scuba. The numbers they give me for empty wt in lbs no valve are:
33 for the HP100
30 for the HP80

Thanks again, Adam.

With a HP100 of 33 lbs, the calculator gives -11.5 when full in fresh water. A HP80 of 30lbs gives -12.7.

Allthough not spot on, it's not too far away from your measurements of -10.8 and -11.3.

It's almost impossible to get this exactly right, since there are several things that might influence this e.g.:

* The steel density might be slightly different from 490 lbs/cuft
* Buoyancy of tank net and tank foot
* The air pressure of your test tanks might not be exactly 3442 psi
* The weight of a valve is set to 2 lbs, but it can easily be from 1.5 to 2.5 lbs

After thinking a bit, I've set the valve weight to 1.5 lbs now. This makes the calculations closer to that of your tanks: -11.1 for HP100 and -12.3 for the HP80.

Also, I've added an option to view the actual calculations that are performed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom