Scuba spearfishing allowed in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it was a fair question. Spearfishing has had a bad rep. for a long time. Ignorant, disrespectful, indiscriminant, barbaric killers who enjoy killing for the sake of killing has been the perception put forth by some people.

However things seem to be changing rapidly with the acceptance of the activity. Now, in Florida at least, spearfisherman were given special rights to target the exotic lionfish (by removing the need to have a fishing license). Now, suddenly, spearfishing is promoted as fun, responsible, even beneficial to the environment.

We no longer seem to hear that the practice is "cruel", now that it can be applied in an attempt to control an exotic infestation. I always figured that the goal of feeding my family was as worthy as trying to manipulate a marine environment.

Recently Aqualung purchased a major spearfishing gear company. This might also be indicative of a changing in attitudes toward spearfishing? US divers stopped selling spearguns a long time ago.

hunters everywhere have been tarred with that bad perception and it isn't helped by the eco-terrorism of PETA.

I believe that a responsible hunter helps the environment and it's less stressful on the animals. these aren't the big game hunts of yester-year -- people like dumpsterdiver and other spearos like he said are trying to feed their families and get rid of invasive species. it's the people with no true respect for the world & our environment that seem to yell the loudest against it. even regular fishing by pole can be an environmental hazard. broken lines, lost hooks/lures, dropped lead... lots of dropped lead.. which leeches into the water... check out your local fishing pier cleanup if you don't believe me.

ask an environmental biologist what effect banning deer hunting would actually have on the environment and the animals themselves.... and it's not a pretty picture..

was not aware that Aqualung purchased a spearfishing company -- which one and got anymore info on it?

I am friendly with some of the Captains of spearfishing liveaboards in the United States. Not all of the participants are fishing in a sustainable ethically acceptable manner. While they don't exactly envy me for my clientele, they do sometimes ride with me so they can dive and relax....

Not trying to be rude but you're not from the US. What difference does it make to you if the US allows spearfishing? Are you just trying to stir up controversy?
Oh, and I recognized the video of one of our SB members, Dumpster Diver and his son.

Hi Tracydr,
My question didn't purport to stir up controversy, but acquire basic knowledge of spearfishing regulation in the US. Being an international lawyer and a diver, I'm always interested in expanding my knowledge of diving regulations in any jurisdiction. There's nothing wrong in asking questions out of curiosity, as I did.

Last edited:
I am friendly with some of the Captains of spearfishing liveaboards in the United States. Not all of the participants are fishing in a sustainable ethically acceptable manner. While they don't exactly envy me for my clientele, they do sometimes ride with me so they can dive and relax....

most people do try to fish/spearfish responsibly -- it's the few that don't that get the bad press.

One comment that should be made is that this particular thread should be moved to a more appropriate forum than court cases to avoid issues..... underwater hunting perhaps?

most people do try to fish/spearfish responsibly -- it's the few that don't that get the bad press.

One comment that should be made is that this particular thread should be moved to a more appropriate forum than court cases to avoid issues..... underwater hunting perhaps?

I decided to post this thread in this section because my question focused on the legal regulation of spearfishing, rather than on spearfishing itself. But you might be right. I suppose the administrator will move the thread elsewhere, if this forum is not the most suitable.

ok.... from what i understand this forum is more for actual court cases involving scuba - hence the name.

bottom line on spearfishing -- the laws on it vary from country to country and even from city to city sometimes. (if you take beach dives into account)- in the US is it generally legal depending on the species and whether it's fresh or salt water.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I've learned what I wanted to know: spearfishing in the US is not regulated by federal law but domestically and scuba spearfishing is not prohibited in some jurisdictions but limited in one way or another just like spearfishing without scuba.

What do you mean with these comments? Are you suggesting that the other charter captains allow their customers to violate the game laws... are they running poaching operations? I'm not sure what "sustainable ethically acceptable" means?

What do the other operations do that is unacceptable?
What do the other operations do that is unsustainable?
What do the other operations do that is unethical?

And who has made these determinations?

Do any of your customers (ever) trample the coral or do any activities that others might consider "unethical" or "unacceptable" perhaps it is only the other boats that have problems?

I don't know if it was mentioned in a previous post. But spearfishing on scuba has been prohibited recently in West Hawaii.

I don't know if it was mentioned in a previous post. But spearfishing on scuba has been prohibited recently in West Hawaii.

That's too bad. Why?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom