Scuba spearfishing allowed in the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it is in many areas of the US. I'm of mixed opinion about it. On one hand it gives the diver a real advantage over the fish and allows people who have no business spearfishing an easy way to do it (I'm referring to the ones who are real cowboys and don't observe the rules). On the other hand it gives the diver more time to assess the identity of and size of the target to better ensure the rules are followed.

I don't know if it was mentioned in a previous post. But spearfishing on scuba has been prohibited recently in West Hawaii.

That's too bad. Why?

I believe the primary reason was/is that it is believed that spearing on scuba allows taking of larger fish in deeper water, and more fish in general than can be taken by free divers.

I'm not sure how this was determined, and is one of the main reasons the bill was "held" (not passed on for signature) by the head of the DLNR. It may have since passed, I have not followed this closely, but there was a large uproar in Kona when it was held up.

It could be there is good science behind the ban if a small but active group of scuba spearos engages in overfishing for commercial reasons.... But I still have trouble believing this is the actual case, or is prevalent enough to have much impact on total fish numbers.

Most spearfishing I see is by free divers. I cannot remember the last scuba diver I saw carrying a spear... years?

I don't have a horse in the race either way.... I have not speared in years, and if I did go back it would be free diving, because as I mentioned previously I can approach and spear a fish more easily when they cannot hear me coming.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Yes, it is in many areas of the US. I'm of mixed opinion about it. On one hand it gives the diver a real advantage over the fish and allows people who have no business spearfishing an easy way to do it (I'm referring to the ones who are real cowboys and don't observe the rules). On the other hand it gives the diver more time to assess the identity of and size of the target to better ensure the rules are followed.

If we follow that logic then we would ban scuba diving, because it gives some people an easy way to trample the reef....

Spearing under the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico is almost exclusively on SCUBA. Too many things for fish and diver to get tangled up in. Many times the vis is poor and gets worse when the bottom is stirred up. Cost of fuel/boat fees have reduced the numbers of spearos going out in my area. I did not spear for 10 years due to being focused on CCR. Went out 70 miles South of Sabine Pass, TX in June of this year and there were snapper from the surface all the way to the bottom @ 106fsw. 2 fish and $200 for the boat ride.

Spearing under the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico is almost exclusively on SCUBA. Too many things for fish and diver to get tangled up in. Many times the vis is poor and gets worse when the bottom is stirred up. Cost of fuel/boat fees have reduced the numbers of spearos going out in my area. I did not spear for 10 years due to being focused on CCR. Went out 70 miles South of Sabine Pass, TX in June of this year and there were snapper from the surface all the way to the bottom @ 106fsw. 2 fish and $200 for the boat ride.

How were your regulators?

I'm of mixed opinion about it. On one hand it gives the diver a real advantage over the fish...

A few years ago I was talking with a guy who told me he only spears as a freediver because he considered it "more sporting" that way. He was a nice enough guy and I have no problem with spearfishing per se (as long as it's done responsibly, and in accordance with local regulations), so I just smiled and nodded; but I couldn't help but think that what would be truly "sporting" would be to give the fish a powerful mechanical weapon with which it could defend itself. :D

A few years ago I was talking with a guy who told me he only spears as a freediver because he considered it "more sporting" that way. He was a nice enough guy and I have no problem with spearfishing per se (as long as it's done responsibly, and in accordance with local regulations), so I just smiled and nodded; but I couldn't help but think that what would be truly "sporting" would be to give the fish a powerful mechanical weapon with which it could defend itself. :D

And that would make it equivalent to what other sporting event?

I'm of mixed opinion about it. On one hand it gives the diver a real advantage over the fish...

And that would make it equivalent to what other sporting event?

Well, I think that's just my point, insofar as I was making a non-facetious point (which isn't very far, after all): while spearfishing is a 'sport' in the sense of 'physical recreation', it's not a 'sport' in the sense of 'athletic competition between individuals or teams where the same rules apply to both sides.'

So it seemed a little disingenuous for my acquaintance to suggest that by spearing only as a freediver he was making things 'more sporting', i.e. more of a 'fair contest' (which is what he seemed to be implying) - from the point of view of the fish, the distinction is likely trivial, because the contest is distinctly one-sided. If my acquaintance had said something such as, "I spearfish only while freediving because it makes the hunt more challenging," OK, fine; I wouldn't have any reason to raise an internal eyebrow.

Well, I think that's just my point, insofar as I was making a non-facetious point (which isn't very far, after all): while spearfishing is a 'sport' in the sense of 'physical recreation', it's not a 'sport' in the sense of 'athletic competition between individuals or teams where the same rules apply to both sides.'

So it seemed a little disingenuous for my acquaintance to suggest that by spearing only as a freediver he was making things 'more sporting', i.e. more of a 'fair contest' (which is what he seemed to be implying) - from the point of view of the fish, the distinction is likely trivial, because the contest is distinctly one-sided. If my acquaintance had said something such as, "I spearfish only while freediving because it makes the hunt more challenging," OK, fine; I wouldn't have any reason to raise an internal eyebrow.

Maybe he could go shark wrestling. Arm himself with hundreds of sharp knives and rub seal fat all over himself to attract the "Big Ones". Now, that seems sporting.

Depends what you derive from spear fishing I suppose. I enjoy fresh fish and see spearing as decidedly more eco-friendly than many methods of commercial fishing. I don't care to make the activity more "sporting" for fish. I'm in their environment, they can move faster, they can hide in places I can't get to, etc. The advantage is decidedly on their side. I prefer to think of it as "harvesting dinner" in a way that reduces by-catch and ensures that I'm taking fish within the acceptable legal limits rather than as "sport".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom