Scuba/Snorkel on Oahu and Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azcat2tx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for some advice...I am a diver, my fiancee is not (and medically cannot). She is adamant that I dive while we are in Hawaii on our honeymoon. So, while I would love to dive, I need to find 2 things on both Oahu and Maui:

A dive operator that also takes snorkeling groups, and dive sites on the islands that are good for snorkeling and diving.

We are planning one day for this on each island.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend a Luau on Maui for us? We are staying in Kaanapali

Thanks in advance.

The Maui Diamond sounds like the ticket for your stop here. They take snorkelers and divers and give them both a great deal of attention, with neither "missing out" like most other operators that do both.

Call up Lahaina Divers or Hawaii Rafting Adventures and ask about snorkelers.. I'm sure HRA will take you but not sure about LD... They are both right there in Lahaina...I can't help with Oahu.
Sean

You might try Trilogy on Maui also. They have big Cats and I've seen both snorkelers and divers get off the same boat. Trilogy Sailing Tours, Snorkeling and Diving in Maui, Molokini, and Lanai

Whoever you choose, book a Molokini trip, it will be interesting for both of you. Snorkelers stay closer to the island and the fish will come right up to you, divers can go out deeper. I've seen white tips laying in the sand and at least one scorpionfish among the staghorn coral. As well as lots of tropical fish. At your experience level, it's a good dive.

Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina was pretty entertaining - I don't generally like those sorts of things.

Thanks for the Maui tips. Anyone have Oahu suggestions?

Also, I have jsut updated my profile...I have quite a few more dives and trips under my belt since i joined SB, so I am comfortable with more advanced dives.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to main Ohana forum

KrisB,

The Maui Diamond web site states that snorklers that ride along should be advanced level and comfortable in the water.

That is not something that I would subject my non-diving (non-fish) wife to. She has done ok on the cattle (snorkle) boat to Molikini, but I wouldn't leave her in the care of some DM I don't know.

KrisB,

The Maui Diamond web site states that snorklers that ride along should be advanced level and comfortable in the water.

That is not something that I would subject my non-diving (non-fish) wife to. She has done ok on the cattle (snorkle) boat to Molikini, but I wouldn't leave her in the care of some DM I don't know.
My experience has been that they'll put a "Snorkel Boss" in the water with them -- that could mean one or two snorkelers for the DM (who is usually an experienced instructor) to work with. This also usually means that they're snorkeling an area that isn't up against the wall -- which I feel is actually less "intense" than those cattle boats that are close to it (less surge).

The only downside is you may be jumping into water that's 80' deep.

For Luau's I would recomend Feast at Lele. The Old Lahaina Lua was not bad, compared to most others I have done, but I think the food & service at Lele was better.

Book as far in advance as you can for Lele to get a good seat.:)

If you are looking for the food, but don't really want to pay for the show, Aloha Mixed Plate is the hot ticket in Keihe on Maui.

Thanks KrisB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom