SCUBA Sled experience?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This Jan in Bonaire a buddy was saying he'd like to try out an UW propulsion vehicle. Great way to search an area quickly.

Towards the end of our next dive, a night dive, we caught a really strong current that had us "flying" back down the reef at a pretty incredible rate of speed! After the dive I told my buddy that now he didn't need to try one of those "sleds" anymore, now he knew what they were like! He replied that he'd imagined that sort of speed, but with a bit more control!!!

Ahh, the good old days. :D

Back in the day before these new fangled sled things:Dwere around DiveBandit and MissD would toss me over the stern holding onto a tail line. They would then cruise slowly about as I scanned the bottom for interesting things to dive. At the time we couldn't afford the expensive side scan Raytheon sonar package so we went with the low maintenance/low cost/monocular scan Mark-r instead.

I'd kill for a day like that today!

Back in the day before these new fangled sled things:Dwere around DiveBandit and MissD would toss me over the stern holding onto a tail line. They would then cruise slowly about as I scanned the bottom for interesting things to dive. At the time we couldn't afford the expensive side scan Raytheon sonar package so we went with the low maintenance/low cost/monocular scan Mark-r instead.

And see, mark-r is better than sonar in that although both only see the bottom in 2D, mark can identify whether a hit is a school of bait fish or a wreck where sonar cannot. :D

I'd kill for a day like that today!

Actually, that can be arranged. I was just given literally 4 pages of numbers for ledges and wrecks off Hudson beach. I'll need to check them out with friends before I can start using them for my charter business. I know the numbers are good because the capt. (who shall remain nameless) is a retired, but well known capt. in the spearfishing circles as well as a friend.

I finally got some time to give the sled a try on Saturday. 2-3 footers in St. Joseph sound, but viz was not that bad considering. First attempt I just tied a bowline to the sled and boat. This made it very hard for me to make the sled dive. Crazy me, tried again turning the sled upside down. The sled did dive and dive and dive. I had to let go when I hit bottom. Then I tried a Crab trap buoy around 3 feet up the line from the sled. Getting better, but still not enough control. I even tried flipping the sled when I wanted to dive and flip back to ascend. I think this is when I sprained my hand which I felt later that evening. Finally I tied the sled without the buoy, but had a good 3 foot loop in the line. (Rand the line through the hole in the sled and then tied it 3' up the line.) This worked very good. Full control to dive and ascend upon will. Drag is not bad while diving, but can be very tiresome while at the surface. While down it is very cool watching the bottom go by and making slight up and down movements. I will have the best arms and back by the end of the summer. Much more fun than a gym. I have one of those stainless anchor swivels I want to try to use next time. Any other suggestions on how to tie the sled for best performance?????

Sounds like the loop is the answer. Apparently this allows you to angle the sled up or down at will, as the loop slides threw the hole freely. Solidly attached it sounds like you are fighting physics to try to control the angle.
Once you get it figured out it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!

Charter boat captains have a saying "Big baits for big fish"

Whenever I was being pulled I always had that phrase, "Big baits for big fish" going through my head

Were you just snorkeling? or did you try it with scuba gear?
Can you post a better photo? I looked at yours and the website. I still can't tell where the rope would attach.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom