Scuba Shop Break In and Robbery (Read Below)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My roomate is a cop so i hear all the stories

They dont have quotas!

They "hide" in those areas for a reason. Either there are alot of accidents or even a fatality or from complaints from area home owners about speeders in residential areas.

There are alot of reasons for those tatics, but they dont tipically hide for fun just to ruin your day.

Andy

Stop crying about the ticket your getting or going to get and just realize that you probably deserved a hell of a lot more of them than you got! A general statement, not directed to anyone specific.

What a lively discussion. I love it!

I have a possible explanation for...
LonelyDriver02 once bubbled...
I know, there are a lot of good cops out there that actually want to help people and make a difference, but everytime i see a cop just sitting on the side of the road not doing anything except waiting to give some unsuspecting person a speeding ticket, i get a little annoyed.
One time I was set up on the side of the road trying to wade through a ton of paperwork between calls (before we had dictation capabilities and everything was handwritten). I had my head down looking at the report I was working on and someone accused me of being asleep, in the middle of day shift!

The person may have had ulterior motives; I had previously issued them a citation for speeding through a school zone when the elementary school was letting out for the day. Ouch! That's expensive. :D

Of course, the cop could just be sitting there running radar. :)

... so what if the Police Officer is "running a speed trap" that is what they are paid to do (along with risking their life protecting mine). It sounds to me that several of you are complaining about a public servant who is actually working for their keep. Imagine if only our politicians could do that.
A Police Officer's value will almost always exceed their pay.

and yes I have been tagged in a speed trap, politely took my ticket, and payed my fine. After all I was the one SPEEDING.

Poseidon once bubbled...
Most people abide by the law, and not much crime, and that makes for some desperately bored cops just waiting for something, anything to do... so mostly they just sit around speed traps, hidden, and watch each car as it passes. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten pulled over for stupid crap like my window tint being 25% (30% is the legal limit), going 5 MPH over the limit

So, by your own admission you had tint that was 5% too dark or you were going 5 MPH over the limit, but it is the COPS fault that they pulled you over for it because they are bored waiting for someone (like you) to break the law (which you just admitted to doing)????

:confused:

I fail to understand the logic in that arguement...

:bonk:

Trust me, I have gotten pulled over for a lot of stupid crap too. (Three times for not having a front license plate, twice resulting in tickets, God only knows how many times for speeding.)

But I acknowledge that it is my OWN fault for not abiding by the law, not the fault of the cop that was just doing his job. And the times I was let go with just a warning, I was appreciative to be on my way, not upset at having been stopped.

People need to take more responsibilities for their own actions.

posiden,

well i would like to here about the search story

also lal your friend i have hte respect for him in the highest if he had to stab a suspect to save his own life. personall i think that if a criminal is hurt in a arrest , the y should have to wave the rights to sue, and if they still decide to should be shot and have to pay all of the lawyer and court fees upfront before anything starts and then if they win all of the money should go to the victims that a hole hurt

From 28 years in law enforcement:

Quotas are illegal in Texas and most other states.

Speed traps are illegal also, but a speed trap is where an illegal speed limit sign is posted that drops the speed in such a fashion where it is almost impossible to slow down (like just on the other side of a hill) and the officer is working radar there. (They became illegal because of a little town between San Antonio and Austin was doing all kinds of bad stuff with speeding tickets, so all the laws were changed back in the '70s). Hiding behind a sign is not enticing or trapping you into speeding or placing you in a situation where you cannot obey the law. "Traps" are designed to trick you, not just allow you to break a law and happen to observe it.

Most drug dealers DRIVE to where they sell or distribute drugs. The best dope arrests I've ever made have ALWAYS come from traffic stops - many times, sitting waiting for a specific car, but taking others in between. (And yes, I worked undercover with a task force for several years; we could identify folks, but it was MUCH easier to get a simple traffic stop, develop probable cause to search or inventory the vehicle, find dope, and arrest than to go through all the hoops for a search warrant for a house or a building).

If you obey the traffic laws, there should be no reason to be stopped. If you are stopped illegally or your vehicle is searched illegally, that is not right and you should complain to the appropriate authority. I would be glad to explain any of the hundreds of Texas Traffic Laws and their application.

Yes, rural police are bored, but they must follow the same laws concerning when they can stop a vehicle as the city officers. Most city units don't stop you for traffic because they have patrol or enforcement units and seperate traffic units. Only the traffic guys work traffic (motorcycle officers, freeway patrol, etc.). Highway Patrol does nothing but work traffic (includes DWI) and work accidents, usually rural or outside incorporated cities.

People need to take more responsibilities for their own actions. [/B]

randyjoy once bubbled...
And yes, I worked undercover with a task force for several years
Moncie, is that you? Naw, couldn't be; you have about 10 years more experience.

Gee, all of this public support is...unexpected.

I think I'm gonna cry. Sniff. ;-(

Cave Diver once bubbled...

So, by your own admission you had tint that was 5% too dark or you were going 5 MPH over the limit, but it is the COPS fault that they pulled you over for it because they are bored waiting for someone (like you) to break the law (which you just admitted to doing)????

:confused:

I fail to understand the logic in that arguement...

:bonk:

People need to take more responsibilities for their own actions.

Whoa, Whoa, don't make me out to be a hater here OK?? I don't hate cops, and I'm not trying to make them look like a bunch of idiots or anything. I just personally feel negatively towards them because they tend to irritate and harass young people driving sports cars. I mean I find it hard to believe that as I pass a police car driving in the opposite direction, at night, that he can somehow tell that my windows are 5% too dark, because 5% is not very much, trust me, I've compared my car to a friend who does have 30% and I couldn't tell the difference to save my life.(BTW, I didn't put the tint on there, it was on the car when I bought it, and I refuse to pay $100 to have it removed and put 30% back on...) Based on this, my only explanation is A) I came across an unbiased cop with vision much better than mine that could legitimately tell the difference. Bam, enough said, I got a ticket, end of story... or B) Officer sees young man leaving bar, driving sports car at 2:00 in the morning, decided to pull him over and see what he can come up with. (yes I got breath tested also, but passed) :rolleyes: . Either way, I got a ticket, paid it a week later, end of story.

Now I am absolutely positive that the officer involved was working in the best interest of the public. Am I happy that the police are around?? Heck yes!! I would be stupid not too. I just get annoyed sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom