Scuba Seraya - Bali trip report (7/15-7/22)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkLover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Arrival: This was my first time in Indonesia and I arrived at Denpasar airport at 9:30 PM from Guam. Alit from SS was there with a poster waiting for me. It was a wild ride to SS taking some 2.5 hours (takes 3 during the day). If you have ever been driven in China you will understand what I mean by "wild", (use horn frequently to move bikes, trucks, people and dogs) Did I say that they used the horn as much as they shifted the van?

Resort: This place is very beautiful and tranquil, see for yourself:
seraya1.jpg

It is a very small resort located right on the beach in NE corner of Bali. I had a maisonette which was plenty for me as I am a single diver (married man who dives feverously while on business trips). This resort is meticulously clean (the grass is swept in the morning). It is an incredibly peaceful stay as you have no TV, paper, internet phone and the fact that EVERYONE smiles at you. I felt safe enough that I didn't need lock my doors at any time.

Weather: Pictures tell the story, its dry season, everyday was the same. It was 84 F during the day, high 70's at night Always had a slight ocean breeze to keep you cool. Couldn't ask for any better.

Diving: My package was based on 17 dives (9 boat, 8 land), I had my own dive guide and made up my own schedule. (spoiled, totally spoiled!). I would do 3-4 dives per day starting at 8 AM and ending with a night dive at 9 PM (did 3 night dives, water temp was 82F). The house reef is directly in front of the resort and is a muck/macro divers dream. I'm a wall/reef guy myself and found it interesting enough to do 3 dives there (you must do at least 1 night dive) after that I spent my time on sites such as Alamanda (heavy, heavy sigh), Drop Off and Liberty Wreck. In general, the diving was very good. (based on my experiences in Palau/Yap). Large corals with huge amounts of juvies were abundant with little currents to bother you. Dive depths ranged from 25 to 110 ft. I found the viz to be 30-60 ft (we had heavy surf during the week).
seraya2.jpg

Food: Menu varied from Indonesian to Western food. Breakfast was 2 fresh eggs, fruit plate, basket of fresh rolls and tea. The Indonesian food was quite good (Indonesian chicken curry, sweet and sour pork etc). For the Western foods you need to ask if it was a fresh dish or frozen. The fresh dishes veal sausage, chicken dishes were very good. If you ask, they will tell you. I travel Asia and I usually go with the local foods and eat very well. (my wife says that I can eat dirt). Pricing on food and drinks were very cheap.
Complete meals were in the $6-7 dollar range. They now have wine (Chateau de box) and a Espresso machine for you coffee lovers.

Pros/Cons: Far too many pros to list. I loved the trip. I met some terrific people from South Africa, Australia and Japan. The smallness of this resort lends itself to having great meals and conversation.
However, upon arriving I was told that there was no Nitrox. SS has separated from Bali Hai diving and are purchasing their own Nitrox compressor and are building a new boat which they hope to have in place for the photo week in August. As a Nitrox diver this took the wind out of my sails abit. I ended up by just doing more dives to compensate for the smallish 60 minute dives. You can PM me if you require additional details. More photos can be seen in my gallery. A very special "thank you" to the many of you that have contributed to me finding and setting up this trip, you guys are great!

Thanks for the report, i'm heading to Bali myself to dive for a week next month.

BTW: Nice pics, in the Gallery

leadweight:
The attachments don't work, so I have no idea where you went.

sorry about, it was first time in working with attachments. They did work but a few minutes they were removed, not sure why.

I didn't realize that you needed the attachments in order to see where I went. You must get out alot :eyebrow:

Nice place there!!!!

Shark, who's staffing the dive center? Did the "old" staff remain with Bali Hai, or stay at Seraya? The Indonesian DMs there were great!

Quero:
Shark, who's staffing the dive center? Did the "old" staff remain with Bali Hai, or stay at Seraya? The Indonesian DMs there were great!

I dove with the old SS staff. I found my DM to be very good. I called him "mother". He would look out for me from afar but would let me get into some trouble.

There other divers that were diving with the last remnants of the Bali Hai group as they still have a small presence there. These divers had been to SS before and knew the Bali Hai staff. It seems that if you booked your package up to a certain date that Bali Hai was honoring that. Bali Hai had one boat there and had no Nitrox as well. I am not sure when the official divorce will be but Bali Hai's days at SS are numbered.

During that time I heard alot of positive comments about Bali Hai in general. They seem to be the people that they call when things go wrong in Bali.

Dave

SharkLover:
I dove with the old SS staff. I found my DM to be very good. I called him "mother". He would look out for me from afar but would let me get into some trouble.

There other divers that were diving with the last remnants of the Bali Hai group as they still have a small presence there. These divers had been to SS before and knew the Bali Hai staff. It seems that if you booked your package up to a certain date that Bali Hai was honoring that. Bali Hai had one boat there and had no Nitrox as well. I am not sure when the official divorce will be but Bali Hai's days at SS are numbered.

During that time I heard alot of positive comments about Bali Hai in general. They seem to be the people that they call when things go wrong in Bali.

Dave

There are a number of good ops on Bali, and Bali Hai is right up there among them. The MD is a good friend and serious about his work.

I've been to Seraya several times--from the first year they operated--and love the place. I hope the split with Bali Hai doesn't cause too many hiccups with the service in the future.

Back
Top Bottom