Scuba pro frameless really facial hair friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoda-X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am on a quest to find a facial hair friendly mask. I have shaved the goatee short and just don't enjoy using chap stick or Vaseline, so hoping to find a mask that comes close to working well. Don't mind a little leakage, but sick of almost flooding on every dive.

So, saw that ScubaPro touts the frameless Gorilla as "facial hair friendly". Does anyone have experience with this mask and is it better than most at stopping the stash issues?

Appreciate any help

Yoda-X

Never had to use vaseline or anything else, with any mask. Just trim a bit underneath the nose.

I have both the Scubapro frame-less and the Oceanic shadow frame-less. I usually get a little seepage from the stash but nothing to worry about. I have a big melon so finding a mask that fits has been a challenge. I was able to score the Scubapro from the bay for a quarter of the price (sometimes you get lucky) so I wasn't risking a ton of dough. My LDS didn't carry it so I couldn't try/buy it from them. I must have tried over a dozen masks before I found two that fit my melon/stash. Keep searching. Mike

You are never too old to start a new hobby...

So, saw that ScubaPro touts the frameless Gorilla as "facial hair friendly". Does anyone have experience with this mask and is it better than most at stopping the stash issues? Yoda-X

FYI, although I love my SCUBA Pro Gorilla frameless masks I have not found them to be too Facial hair friendly. It can also be hit and miss with the mask. I just came back from Curacao where overall the mask was great but there were a few dives with way too much seepage for my taste.

Dave

For what it's worth, I have found the Frameless masks from Dive Rite to fit the bill for me. Depending on the time of year I go between Jason Statham shadow to full on operator beard and the mask has always done the trick.

For what it's worth, I have found the Frameless masks from Dive Rite to fit the bill for me. Depending on the time of year I go between Jason Statham shadow to full on operator beard and the mask has always done the trick.

I bought one of those for my backup mask. In cave training I was told to perform a mask swap. I did it, then swapped back to my primary (atomic). At the end of the dive my instructor asked, "you didn't have to perform TWO mask swaps, why did you put your primary back on?" To which I replied, "my peripheral vision is crap in that mask, I felt like the cave shrunk by half when I had the DR mask on, and I wanted to enjoy the dive!"

But, yes, that's off topic.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom