Scuba pro C300 vs S600 what is the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I Consider Buying Scubapro MK25 with C300 or S600
(warm water diving 14c to 28c)

1. What is the difference between them?.....
2. From another totally different direction.....some buddies at our group insist that the mares Abyss 22 is better on the "easy Breathing" feel....and actually with more air flow

Your advice will be appreciated

Many (many!) THX

I Consider Buying Scubapro MK25 with C300 or S600
(warm water diving 14c to 28c)

Are you buying new? The C300 isn't in the current SP product offering as far as I can see.

2. From another totally different direction.....some buddies at our group insist that the mares Abyss 22 is better on the "easy Breathing" feel....and actually with more air flow

The Abyss22 doesn't even come close to the MK25/S600 regulator, not even close!!!

S600 is balanced and the C300 is unbalanced. The breathing resistance/effort of the 600 is way less than the 300 especially at deeper depth. I don't know the Abyss setup, but few regs come even close to the performance of the MK26/S600 combo IMO.

Are you buying new? The C300 isn't in the current SP product offering as far as I can see.

The Abyss22 doesn't even come close to the MK25/S600 regulator, not even close!!!

OK ....I was thinking to buy new
is the C300 an old second stage reg ? or you didn't see it offered at US?

:) that is exactly what ,my other buddies says about scubapro vs mares :)
can you ( please) explain why ?

what is actually confusing ( me ) about the better "easy Breathing" feel -
is the 2nd stag: Air flow:

scubapro MK25/s600

• First stage : Air Flow at 200bar: >8500 l/min - 301 SCFM

• 2nd stag: Air flow at 200 bar: 1850 l/min - 66 SCFM
Mares Abyss 22
First stage : Air Flow at 200bar: 4800 l/min;
2nd stag: Air flow at 200 bar : 2400 l/min

scubapro MK25/s600

Mares Abyss 22
I don’t understand how these numbers would affect ease of breathing. They all far exceed what you could ever possibly need. Even at the lowest of these numbers you would exhaust a cylinder in under two minutes.

How your regulator is adjusted during service will have more effect on breathing than brand.

The C300 is EoS for SP anywhere as far as I can see. You may see it advertised by some dealer somewhere but that it would be an old stock the dealer is trying to get rid of but SP hasn't been shipping it for a while now.

In regards to the specs, I would suggest that it would be better to ask the question in the SP forum for an official clarification.

Note the following:

1. It will be impossible for the diaphragm FS to compete against the SP Piston FS in flow rates by the nature of the design.

2. The SP S600 has two manual adjustments, VIVA (Venturi) and cracking pressure, for the diver to be able to control how easy it is to initiate breathing and starting the air flow from the SS and how easy it is to keep the flow of air once started (VIVA).

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 01:07 PM ----------

The only regulator that would compete against the SP MK25/S600 in performance and reliability and worthy of consideration will be the Atomic line of regulators (they are also piston FS regulators).

I would purchase a S600, G260, or S560 before I would purchase the C300. In the US the C300 was a sales flop. I think it was only sold between 2011 and 2013. It was was supposedly designed for the European market that prefers an unbalanced second stage. While an improvement over the R190/290/390/295/395 it is inferior to the G250V/S555/S600.

OK ....I was thinking to buy new
is the C300 an old second stage reg ? or you didn't see it offered at US?

:) that is exactly what ,my other buddies says about scubapro vs mares :)
can you ( please) explain why ?

scubapro MK25/s600

Mares Abyss 22

I don’t understand how these numbers would affect ease of breathing. They all far exceed what you could ever possibly need. Even at the lowest of these numbers you would exhaust a cylinder in under two minutes.

How your regulator is adjusted during service will have more effect on breathing than brand.

What knotical said is precisely spot-on correct.

A high-end balanced piston first stage (like the Scubapro Mk-25) will have a greater flow rate than a high-end balanced diaphragm first (like the Abyss 22).

But guess what?? That magical flow rate is first limited by the flow rate of the tank valve, and ultimately limited by the flow rate of the 2nd stage!! Both the Mk25 and the Abyss 22 have flow rates that exceed what a tank valve can provide, and provide more out-flow than any 2nd stage can use.

Period.

Ease of breathing for either of these superb regulators is 100% due to the design and tuning of the second stage. When properly tuned, the Abyss 2nd stage is a superb breather. The Scubapro S600 is also a superb breather if properly tuned.

I've dove both... and purchased the MR-22 Abyss since it breathed just as well, but was a simpler design.... I service my own regs, so simple is good.

Don't get hung up on flow rates. If you can, test-dive both regs, and then choose the one you like best. You cannot go too far wrong with either, or with any other current regulator from a variety of manufacturers!

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom