Scuba MP3 safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmc4x4

Contributor
Reaction score
I love the idea of the mp3 players in the housings but have often wondered if this would pose some sort of safety issue. Not that it would really stop me from using one, my only limiting factor is cash, I have a hard time spending that much money on something that is so diver-centric. I think I will get a bit more mileage out of my U/W Video Rig.

Well, you can't hear ambient noise as well, and it could distract you. Aside from that, I don't see any safety issues. For you. For the mp3 player, OTOH, that's a different story. I haven't seen many cases designed to handle submersion beyond snorkeling depths.

Persoanlly I don't need the music. I hear enough of that in my veryday life. One of the joys of diving is that absolute absence of noise other than the occasional boat propeller.

Tell me. What music might you listen to? I'd suggest the theme from JAWS.

bfisher:
Persoanlly I don't need the music. I hear enough of that in my veryday life. One of the joys of diving is that absolute absence of noise other than the occasional boat propeller.

Tell me. What music might you listen to? I'd suggest the theme from JAWS.

The Life Aquatic.
You know the one they play in the sub when they search for the Jaguar shark. I know thats what Im playing when I dive in the Alvin this August.

But for SCUBA-I wouldnt mind some music when Im cleaning boats U/W, but that would be definetly be a safety risk (cant hear the engine start up before they engage the bow thruster and my hand is in there, no bueno). It would be nice to have a little music playing while Im recreational diving so that the voices in my head dont distract me.

CompuDude:
Well, you can't hear ambient noise as well, and it could distract you. Aside from that, I don't see any safety issues. For you. For the mp3 player, OTOH, that's a different story. I haven't seen many cases designed to handle submersion beyond snorkeling depths.

Oceanic makes a housing for the iriver thats good to 200ft. Its only 256mg though..http://cgi.ebay.com/iRiver-256MB-MP3-Player-Scuba-Dive-Underwater-Housing_W0QQitemZ7249158092QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1300QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom