Scuba Mau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were they AL100s? I think I dropped 4# of lead for them. Actual empty buoyancy of tanks vary so much by brands and even models too: Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan It worked ok for me tho, maybe because I go in heavy with my pony anyway, and my big BC? But I told my bud and the doc the same and they did ok. :confused:

We dove almost all 100s and they didn't charge us. :D Whatever weight my bud used he was fine until we did a shore dive on 80s, I told him to add 4# of lead, and he couldn't stay down. :idk: He has problems with his lead every trips tho. I never know if I rag him too much or need to watch him more? It's the same when we rent a car: If I drive, I end up screaming "Read the map damnit!" If he drives, I scream "I said turn back there damnit!" We've done a lot of flexible exploring, above and below.

They do offer 100's...I had to use them to stay down as long as everyone else. Then I bought an "Air Hog" T-shirt from their next door competitor. Sorry Scuba Mau :mooner:

We were down in November. my bother, I mean my brother was diving 100's. I didn't pay attention as to if they were alu. or steel, but he had to shed 8 lbs,. in weight.

You really can't go wrong with Scuba Mau. They are a fun group of people, and very attentive to your needs. I have noticed from all of the dive masters that they will be there for you. they will evaluate and assist.

Also your input as to what dive sites you will do is very encouraged, they ask you, don't tell you what sites you are diving. Weather permitting of course.

Yes Mau and Opal are very flexible. This is an opertaion that is all hands on, and seem to really love what they do. They seem to go out of there way to make it
happen for you as a customer.

So yes they are my #1 choice.

Now I just have to get through these next 12 weeks till I can splash again.

I'm looking for op for my Feb trip, email Scuba Mau and Opal replied, "We have some 100cf aluminum tanks, not steele, and we offer them to you free for the first dive and then a 80 cf tank for the second dive!", that works for me, i use more air when I'm taking pictures.

For 2 dive trips I used Dive with Martin, they are good and cheap, i like their boat, fast and comfortable, but problem is they have too many DM and you don't know who will go with you until you get on boat. so i like to try a small op this time, scuba mau is on my list.

i have some question about Scuba Mau, how many boat they have? are those boat small and fast? easy to access? i always have my camera rig with me, is there rinse tank on board? i ask because can't find info on their website. find a photo online, the boat looks a little small :cool2:

3668554698_a7db1c4303.jpg

i have some question about Scuba Mau, how many boat they have? are those boat small and fast? easy to access? i always have my camera rig with me, is there rinse tank on board? i ask because can't find info on their website. find a photo online, the boat looks a little small
I don't know how many boats SM actually owns but yeah the one we went out on was small and fast, like so many other 6 to 8 pack boats. Easy access? You don't want to step down from the dock under the canopy; enter in front or at back in case a wave bounces it, but - few worry about that. I like to remove my kit in the water once the skipper has hold of it and let him lift it, easier climbing and lowers DCS risks, but many climb theirs other than fins. Small boats don't really have room for camera tanks usually. I wrap mine in a wet T-shirt before and after diving until I get back to the room to soak it, like I do on cenote dives.

I'm looking for op for my Feb trip, email Scuba Mau and Opal replied, "We have some 100cf aluminum tanks, not steele, and we offer them to you free for the first dive and then a 80 cf tank for the second dive!", that works for me, i use more air when I'm taking pictures.

For 2 dive trips I used Dive with Martin, they are good and cheap, i like their boat, fast and comfortable, but problem is they have too many DM and you don't know who will go with you until you get on boat. so i like to try a small op this time, scuba mau is on my list.

i have some question about Scuba Mau, how many boat they have? are those boat small and fast? easy to access? i always have my camera rig with me, is there rinse tank on board? i ask because can't find info on their website. find a photo online, the boat looks a little small :cool2:
Hi-Opal and Mau own 2 boats, the Flying Fish(pictured) and captained by Victor. Also the Nora Gabriela, captained by Kung Fu Paunda(Fernando).
They are both pangas, not a lot of room left if you have 7divers on them.
As far as your camera kit, do you have flash arms? In any case a bucket can be put on the boat and filled with ocean water to keep it wet if you want. You would need to relate to the other divers it's yours for the camera as they may start putting their masks or something in it.lol. Last dives I did with a fellow there he had a very expensive kit with two huge strobes, huge fisheye lens that he was always freaked about getting scratched. A big plastic storage box was at my condo I was staying at so we put that on the boat for him. Took up a lot of room but we where ok to be careful for him. He took some amazing pics. The best I have personally been in.
But if you email Opal she will tell you that you kit will be looked after with a bucked I'm sure.
Have fun. kevin

Yes Mau and Opal own 2 boats. Nora Gabriela is their new addition which gives pretty good deck space. Also Flying fish which is smaller. They also do lease boats on a daily basis depending on business. They always seem to get everybody on a boat. Also they try to match divers skills, and get them on a boat together. may not always workout 1st or 2nd day, but they do evaluate you, and will get you set up.

They do provide buckets for cameras. I myself am not a photographer so it is not a concern of mine. However I have noticed that the skippers ( Jemima & Kung fu ) and divemasters Do pay special attention to the divers gear.

Also you will get real familiar with your divemaster, as they will with you! By chance if you are bounced around with divemasters which is rare, they do share info about you so the next divemaster knows what to expect from you.

Do not let the boats be a decision maker to you. Both of their boats are set up for diving , and that is what they do.

If you go with Mau Mau you will not regret it.

have fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom