Scuba Mau Boat Sinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This appeared in some of the previous, heavily moderated threads but is a better translation than what might have got to the board. That 15 day deadline should be approaching shortly. If anything on the ground occurs, that will be newsworthy and I will start a new thread to discuss it. Perhaps some of the local ops can chime in here and/or start a new thread on boat safety regulation in Cozumel to make the information more easily found.
I just saw this on the Cozumel Insider - Cozumel News - Local Island News in English Updated Weekly - Cozumel Insider website news page.

"Port Authorities Now Reviewing Documents

There are several parts to boat safety/legality in Cozumel. First off is the condition and appropriateness of the boat, and where it is going. These are things the diver could and should appraise for him or herself, and NEVER expect that just because a friendly Mexican says no problem...that it is safe to go with them! There are plenty of comments elsewhere about that issue by me like channel crossing in small boats, and north end trips in pangas.

Then there are the issues of official registration which is a big part of the noise going on now in in Cozumel. This may or may not be an issue for divers. In order to get "official" registration a dive op must get three different permits from the "tourismo nautico" and others in the Mexican Federal Government, and include tourist insurance that is pitiful by US standards. The fact that a shop has done this is NOT a guaranty that the boat is safe for all conditions, nor that the operator is acting completely within the law—but it is better than those who act outside the law. But the sad fact is that there is virtually no way for most divers to figure out who or what dive op is doing things within the law, even if it made a difference.

In my opinion, although I personally detest them for bickering/backstabbing, the best rationale for picking a dive op is one that is associated with ANNOAT. That is, loosely translated, the Association of National Ocean and Aquatic Operators in Cozumel. They do have some standards that are weaker... but better enforced then the Harbor Master can do, and all are completely scared to death of bad publicity for Cozumel Diving. I believe there are about 26 members out of the 100 plus dive ops in Cozumel.

But that is not to say that other dive shops can't be just as safe, or better, its just one metric that I might choose.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

If anything on the ground occurs, that will be newsworthy and I will start a new thread to discuss it. Perhaps some of the local ops can chime in here and/or start a new thread on boat safety regulation in Cozumel to make the information more easily found.

If you do, please give us a "heads-up" on this thread so that we will be aware of it.

Reactions: MMM
One boat I rode in at Cozumel had both gunwales cracked midship with cracks in the hull extending down past the seats. I could feel the crack pinching [-]my hand[/-] as we were crossing waves. I assumed that's the way things were done there and someone was watching safety. What are the chances that boat will be cited and taken out of service?

Last edited:
or American or Canadian....French... German even....

sensitive aren't we?

In the summer of 2010 and with a trip to Coz coming up in August I started following the Cozumel forum very closely to see who all would be going during that time. One of the people I encountered was DandyDon. He has long been a proponent of CO testing and has done more to encourage it and support the concept than anyone I have EVER run across!

Now to the good part!... When we got to Coz Don had decided that he would like to try ScubaMau. (I have no idea who was filling their tanks for them!.. So don't ask!) Daily we both check our tanks with both analyzers. That is, until a gust of wind blew his overboard and soaked it! Consistently we were both getting readings in the 8 to 10 ppm of CO!

We expressed our concerns and the DM's kept discounting them and telling us they thought we weren't testing correctly or that they weren't calibrated properly.

The final day of diving we checked virtually all of the tanks on board the boat. Without exception they were all in the 16 to 17 ppm range! We had planned to do Devils Throat that day, but basically we told the DM that we refused to go that deep on air that tested that badly! We ended up doing a much more shallow dive.

2 things - and anyone can bitch if they want, but

1) Scuba Mau again.

2) Typical Mexican mucho macho dive master attitude "No problem"

You can discount the Mexican connection all you want, but I dive all over the place and I see it all the time consistently in Mexico. I'm not looking to get into some racial argument but to deny that this exists is like denying the sun shines in Cozumel. It's just part of the culture there. Big smile, no problem... It's continually stated over and over again how much people enjoy the friendly people of Cozumel, part of that 'friendly' is the easy going nature, sometimes a nature that too quickly discounts a problem or doesn't want to rock the boat in any way. It's just the way it is, every country on the planet has customs unique to it, in my opinion this is part of Mexico and the experience there. It doesn't make anybody a bad person, you just need to be aware of it, and if you've been going there long enough and go other places you probably have contrasting experiences to compare it to and notice it to.

Not to argue with you Mike....that would be pointless. If you have found one particular dive op to be "Macho" it should not speak to the integrity of the many other shops on the island.
I come here solo most time and I have not found the dive masters here to be( dive here alot have used 5 ops over the years) the "macho" you are describing. For example, with some newer divers this week, their concerns were addressed , plans adjusted and we all went on to have a great time diving. There was no this will be "no problem". Normally that's how things have worked on dive boats I have been on in Cozumel. I am no seeing the macho
thing at all (well to be honest, maybe once) that you claim is everyday on Cozumel dive boats.

How many women have experienced more than just casual 'discussions' with Mexican dive masters over weights? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom