scuba magzines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goose75:
I'm a fan of the UK publication DIVER. You can find it in Barnes and Noble sometimes. It has a great mix of sites from around the world, recreational and technical (if that is interesting to you). Most the US publications are the same Caribbean and South Pacific photo spreads. Interesting but the cookie cutter approach gets old after you’ve seen the same places every few months.

PADI has a UK version of it's publication I found the last time through London Heathrow airport. It was similar to DIVER but it included DVDs with great footage. Not much help for us Texans since it's only at WHS Smith in the UK but I was thinking about checking into mail order. I'm not sure if it was a pilot program or not. I’ll be through there again Thursday so I was going to check into it if I’m not running to the gate.

I've picked that up (Isn't it just called Dive though? unless there's another one) a few times....a bit pricey though.. I also picked up a rather nice one called Austrailia Scuba Diver which is apparently a VERY PADI centered mag..but had nice pics throughout.

Once in a while I can get to Borders and they have a Canadian mag called Diver that has a lot of really nice articles. I usually end up reading that one cover to cover. (Along with Dive Training)

http://www.divernet.com/

This is the on-line version of Diver, the British magazine. The gear reviews are worth reading. The American "Scuba Diving" mag rarely rates a product less than "good". Diver magazine tells it like it is. They'll make toast out of a product that does not meet their expectations.

Buy it on ebay. A magazine dealer there has it as "Buy it now" and you get it for about 1/2 of the usual subscription price and a fraction of cover price. Look for the dealer with high feedback score (98%plus) and multiple transactions (200 plus).

I think "Dive Training" (DAN) is excellent and so is "Scuba Diving" (Rodale).

I get "Sport Diver" (PADI) but I think they often lack objectivity because their advertisers appear to exercise more "influence" than other mags.

Frankly I think the best of all as far as objectivity and breadth of information is concerned is "Undercurrent" (both print and online editions).

Sy

Suther2136:
Hi folks. I new to scuba, should be certified in a few weeks. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good scuba magazine(s)? Always like to go deep into my passions and this is the newest. Many thanks for the help.

Underwater Photoghraphy magazine.... and it's free
UwP%20title%20final.jpg

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][SIZE=+1]A FREE web based magazine[/SIZE][/FONT]
UwP is a FREE bi-monthly web based magazine published on or around the 1st of January, March, May, July, September and November
You have to subscribe with a valid e mail address to download the latest issues. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]We had to do this to establish an accurate number of downloads[/FONT].
UwP is a FREE web magazine aiming to give a platform for existing and new talent in underwater photography.

http://www.uwpmag.com/
wink.gif

X-Ray - The International dive magazine.... and it's free Too
X-Ray - The International dive magazine (Free)
X-Ray Mag #17 is online now!
And ready for download.
biggrin.gif
14.gif
100 full spreads of HOTstuff:

Red Sea - behind the scene Egypt and Saudi Arabia. FINS + interview of Bob Evans. How coral reefs change. Kurt Amslers photoschool: Macro. Safety margins on a rebreather. The Science of Salinity. Sun protection for divers. Mermaid Matters: Mascara: Medical issues: Nasal Irrigation

Get your FREE copy of X-Ray Mag #17 today
Note: You must now use at least Version 6 of Acrobat Reader!

http://www.xray-mag.com/

i like Undercurrent - no advertisements and relatively unbiased reviews.
the mainstream magazines are pretty much the same as few people have already pointed it out. Scubaboard is much better than any of the publications available out there.

Thanks to all this is a good bit of info and I will spend lots of time milling through your suggestions. I think the forums here will also serve me very well. No one pulls any punches. thanks again.

Thalassamania:
Dive Training, and it's free at you LDS.

You should check with your LDS (local dive shop) to see if you can get a 6-month subscription to DT mag for free... and then pick it up for free whenever you go to the dive shop! Whenever you take a class, Dive Training allows you to sign up for a free 6 month subscription. It's a great mag.

I have subscribed to several. I get Alert (when you sign up for DAN membership/insurance, you get Alert magazine), Scuba Diving. eckybay sent me a coupon or link (I can't remember how it worked out) for a free subscription for SD mag which I slobber over whenever it hits my mailbox!

Sigh. To dream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom