Scuba listed as one of the 5 most expensive hobbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did use my $1000 analyzer to test the air before I used it. :wink:

you bought the analyzer with the money you saved on the air fills? lol

I'm a professional divebum. If I can afford it, most people with real jobs could too.

I can think of many more expensive hobbies: art collecting; restoring a 1967 corvette, flying one's own vintage world war II airplane; equestrian activities ( that's owning and riding a horse); and so on. Even if scuba is expensive, there is a reason- IT'S WORTH IT. I am fighting a cancer right now, and sometimes reflect back on things in my past. I have some regrets, but I do not regret any scuba purchases, for equipment, for training for travel.
Divemaster Dennis

Hate to betray my sex, but I suspect there's truth to this:

My vote for most expensive hobby: women

I'm a professional divebum. If I can afford it, most people with real jobs could too.

And speaking of professional, the #1 claim for ballroom dancing was based on a $10K gown. Golly, that's six (6) minutes worth of IMAX film for Howard Hall...even before considering the cost of rebreathers and their gasses & sorb, far-flung travel, TONS of excess baggage, etc...

Even at the amateur level, it isn't that hard to be wearing $10k of stuff when jumping in the water for a dive - $2k in dive gear and another $8k worth of a housed dSLR...plus there's still the cost of the dive boat, fills, hotel room, airfare, etc..

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom